Skip to content

Announcements

Exciting News for WebMD Members!

We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

What Do You Need to Do?

The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

Includes Expert Content
    Can emontial stress aggreviate oab
    Maintanenceman1 posted:
    Can emontional stress aggreviate an overactive bladder. The reason every time my mother-in-law comes it causes my overactive bladder to get worse. Before the visit is over I can generally wind up in adult diapers at night. & using afex during the day

Lainey_WebMD_Staff responded:
    Hi Maintanenceman1,

Are you doing anything else differently before your MIL visit? Change in diet? Drinking more fluids?

Maintanenceman1 replied to Lainey_WebMD_Staff's response:
    no nothing except I work two jobs & drink coffee, My MIL makes my temper boil at times. I have been drinking alot more water.

Lainey_WebMD_Staff replied to Maintanenceman1's response:
    I would speak with your urologist about this condition. Stress can cause many symptoms. Working two jobs can also be a stress factor. Coffee is another consideration.

Have you tried Kegels yet?

Diane K Newman, RN-C, MSN, ANP responded:
    Anxiety can cause symptoms of overactive bladder because the same area of the brain that manages emotions manages the bladder. So when you are anxious, under more stress or worried, you may find yourself going to the bathroom more often. This is a symptoms of overactive bladder and it is called frequency.

You may want to learn some relaxation strategies to use when your mother-in-law visits.

Helpful Tips

Tips for Keeping your Bladder HealthyExpert
    Like so many parts of our bodies, your brain, your bladder and the muscles that control your bladder are always communicating. When your ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    18 of 31 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Diane Newman's website