Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Can emontial stress aggreviate oab
Maintanenceman1 posted:
Can emontional stress aggreviate an overactive bladder. The reason every time my mother-in-law comes it causes my overactive bladder to get worse. Before the visit is over I can generally wind up in adult diapers at night. & using afex during the day

Lainey_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Maintanenceman1,

Are you doing anything else differently before your MIL visit? Change in diet? Drinking more fluids?

Maintanenceman1 replied to Lainey_WebMD_Staff's response:
no nothing except I work two jobs & drink coffee, My MIL makes my temper boil at times. I have been drinking alot more water.

Lainey_WebMD_Staff replied to Maintanenceman1's response:
I would speak with your urologist about this condition. Stress can cause many symptoms. Working two jobs can also be a stress factor. Coffee is another consideration.

Have you tried Kegels yet?

Diane K Newman, RN-C, MSN, ANP responded:
Anxiety can cause symptoms of overactive bladder because the same area of the brain that manages emotions manages the bladder. So when you are anxious, under more stress or worried, you may find yourself going to the bathroom more often. This is a symptoms of overactive bladder and it is called frequency.

You may want to learn some relaxation strategies to use when your mother-in-law visits.

Helpful Tips

How to prevent UTIsExpert
Changing some of your daily habits may help you avoid urinary tract infections. Drink lots of fluid to flush the bacteria from your ... More
Was this Helpful?
20 of 33 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Diane Newman's website