Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

We will be discontinuing this community as of April 1, 2014. We value and appreciate your participation in this community and hope that you will continue to post your questions in the WebMD Digestive Disorders Community.
IC or bladder issues due to hysterectomy?
An_191909 posted:
I had been having pain in my lower back for about a year and also what I thought to be uterine cramping. My cycles were starting to really get unusual and my physician ordered an ultrasound. They found 2 large fibroids and I was sent to a gynecologist who recommended a partial hysterectomy due to the large fibroid size. I followed through with the surgery in 6/2010. It has now been 8 months and my lower back pains and cramping still continue. I feel that this cramping is coming from the bladder as I do not have a uterus so that cannot be the case. Over the past 4-5 months the cramping has gotten worse and I get up at least 3-4 times a night to urinate and also leak at night like I cannot control my bladder. During the day my trips to the bathroom have gone 6 months ago from 8 times a day now to at least 30 times a day and 4 times per night. Certain foods and drinks seem to make this issue "flare up" worse as well. I have been back to my gynecologist (who did the surgery) and he feels that I have OAB. I never had this issue with the trips to the bathroom until after the surgery. They have done 3-4 labs on my urine in the past 6 months and they all are clear. Do you feel that these symptoms could be IC? Do you recommend that I return to my physician to ask to see a urologist? I am very depressed as I went from a very healthy person to a person who has no control over her bladder functions. Do you feel that it could be due to the surgery that I am having these problems or was it IC or a bladder issue to begin with? I am at my wits end and just want better quality of life as I am only in my mid-40s. Thank you for any information or help you might have.

jree5 responded:
Not a medical doc but will share my experience after having had my hysterectomy. After having my hysterectomy due to endometreosis, I felt like I had a bladder infection all the time, and suddenly I had to go more often than normal. With many tests to see if I did have UI or bladder infection that indicated I didn't have one, I finally just went to my regular doctor and discussed with him. We tried going on strong antibiotics for awhile but symptons just returned. He finally put me on low grade antibiotics for 6 months. It took 6-8 weeks but I finally started to feel better but one day I just suddenly felt better more like normal. Since then however, I continue to have to go alot and now have urinary incontinence and am researching options. My point in telling you this is 1- you are not alone have talked to others that have had similar issues, 2- definitely go see your doctor ask them for their advice and get referral to urologist, 3- seek second opinion if needed, 4- don't give up and keep asking questions. It seems like you have good notes of sympton history so write that up and take them to your doctor so he can see you are serious about your symptons and not just making up things, and write down your questions before you go to the doctor, and don't let them leave before you get answers to your questions. I had my hysterectomy at age 41 and I know exactly what you mean by your life changing due to these issues. Hang in there and good luck. Hope this helps.

yvetteb34 responded:
Hi, I had my hysterectomy last year in July 2011 and I immediately began to feel the bladder pain. After numerous doctors visits and medication I was just diagnosed with IC last month. This wasn't part of the risks that were included so I'm now curious if I should obtain an attorney. I never had any problem with my bladder and I also use the restroom at least 30x's a day and 10 at night. I'm only 34 and now have this condition for the rest of my life. I would like to hear from you and see if you have had any improvements.

Thank you

Helpful Tips

Tips for Keeping your Bladder HealthyExpert
Like so many parts of our bodies, your brain, your bladder and the muscles that control your bladder are always communicating. When your ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 30 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Diane Newman's website