Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Newbie!
ronnibear posted:
I am a 35 year old mom of 2, bonus mom of 3 more! My husband and I have been married for 5 years and have been best friends for over 20! :)

I am also a member of the MS, Migraine and Fibro communities on WebMD, as I have not been given a firm diagnosis. Right now my PCP (Primary Care Physician) and I are taking each symptom individually until we are able to get a diagnosis locked down.

Next week, I meet with a urologist. I am a little nervous, mostly embarrassed. I have kept this symptom pretty much a secret for about 10 years, but despite religiously doing Kegels, losing weight and fluid monitoring, each day it seems worse and worse. In the last year I have also started to get UTI and bladder infections about every 6 weeks.

Anyone else suffered in silence? Anyone have any idea of what kind of treatment options are out there that I may be looking at?

Thanks,

Ronni

kiki241881 responded:
I'm sorry that you are going through this, I can sure sympathize with you! Your uro doc may put you on Vesicare, a medication prescribed for over-active bladder. Childbirth can have a huge affect on your bladder, it goes through tremendous stress during pregnancy and I know after my child I started experiencing incontinence and I still suffer from it, among other issues.
Kegels are great for toning and can sometimes help with incontinence, but it sounds like mediation may be your best source of relief.
And since you are having reoccurent infections, I would make sure that your doc does testing for any blockages that may have developed in your kidneys or your bladder. Blockages can cause build up of waste which will result in reoccurent infections.
Just remember, there is NOTHING to be embarassed about, I know it's hard not to be, I had a nehprostomy tube in my kidney which drained my kidney contents into a foley bag that I had to strap to my leg. I wore this for around 4 months and at first I was HUMILIATED to go out into public, but after a while I realized that there was nothing to be ashamed about. I didn't cause this to happen to me, it's something that I had no control over, and neither do you. You should NEVER be ashamed of something that you have no control over, especially when it comes to your health.
I wish you all the best and I hope that your appointment will give you the answers you are looking for!

Lainey_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Ronnibear,

Let us know how your appointment goes. I found some articles that might help. Most women will have issue with incontinence including me. Let me know if you need more information.

Incontinence

Woman's Little Secret

Lainey

ronnibear replied to Lainey_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thanks Lainey and KiKi for your replies!

The appointment went very well. My doctor and his staff were so nice and made me feel very at ease and comfortable---even when I peed on them during the MMK test!

So, here is what I know after the appointment: I definately have stress incontinence, but it looks like I may be a candidate for the botox procedure instead of a sling or more invasive surgery! Also I was diagnosed with Interstitial Cystitis following a VERY positive PST test. OUCHIE!!! I have an appointment for a more intensive incontinence test along with kidney xrays and ultrasound to check that there is no kidney damage or other issues going on. I started on daily, low dose antibiotics along with Elmiron (pricey!).

One thing he also asked was if I had ever been diagnosed with MS or Lupus! I said funny you mention that since I have split opinions on those subjects by neurologists and primary care phyisicans.

~~Ronni~~

Lainey_WebMD_Staff replied to ronnibear's response:
Thanks for the update Ronni, I am glad you feel better about the incontinence. Many people suffer in silence. :(

Let us know about the botox procedure that would be a great topic too!

Did you ask your doctor how he knew about the Lupus/MS?

Take care,

Lainey

ronnibear replied to Lainey_WebMD_Staff's response:
Lainey,

The urologist questionaire asked about basic medical background of course, but I only listed what was specifically asked, as per my discussion with my PCP (we are trying to address my individual symptoms as individual since the neuros are split on an MS diagnosis)...so, some of the questions were do you have asthma--YES....do you have allergies--YES....do you have skin disorders---YES, if yes, please list--my list: Eczema and photosensitivity/sun allergy. So, after the positive PST test and postitve MMK results for stress incontinence he asked about the YES responses. He also asked if I suffered from migraines, which was another yes. Then he asked about Lupus/MS. He asked if I had any testing done for those, which I have and if they were done at the local hospital. I told him they were and let him know he could have access, so I signed for that. He said it would be a few days for him to get the info and review it, but we talked about what the doctors had told me and he said with the urology issues and brain lesions, plus other physical issues, he suggested I get a 3rd neuro opinion.

So, off to Denver or Omaha or Cheyenne I will go once I have the funds to do so.

~~Ronni~~

Lainey_WebMD_Staff replied to ronnibear's response:
Hi Ronni,

Hope that everything goes well for you! I know that sometimes people are told "brain virus" when they can't diagnose why there are lesions on the MRI scans. It's great that the doctor was able to look over your record and notice.

Please keep us updated,

Lainey

Helpful Tips

Diet and Incontinence
Did you know that dietary changes like avoiding chocolate and soda can help reduce incontinence? More
Was this Helpful?
9 of 16 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Diane Newman's website