Skip to content
Urge Incontinence Post Davinci Hystectomy and Monarc Sling Placement
IkieEileene posted:
I had a Davinci TH on 4/8 and Monarc Sling placement for stress incontinence. I have since had a UTI and developed urge incontinence vs bladder spasm in the 3 weeks I have been postop. I find this incontinence much more troubling as I cannot stop the flow like I could when I was leaking due to a change in the intrabdominal pressure with the stress incontinence. I start to leak and cannot stop it, the volume is greater and I need greater protection than before. I have no trouble emptying my bladder nor have I ever since surgery. My voiding challenge post op yielded 750cc.

Is this due to the surgery? WIll it subside on its own. My doc says there is nothing to do but wait. I don't know what exactly I am waiting for, however. I do find this development extremely troubling as this type of incontinence seems worse to me than the stress incontinence which I no longer experience. Does anyone have anymore info out there on this??

Lainey_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi IkieEileene

I am sorry you are still having problems after your surgery and hope you feel better soon. Here is some information about slings that might be helpful. The surgery time varies and healing might be the reason you are still having trouble.

Urethral sling

A full PDF version is below the article.

I hope this helps,

Lainey

An_191913 responded:
I had a similar experience and can relate . My TH was done in 2007 though then I had a TOT sling procedure in 2010. About 2 weeks post op I got a UTI that caused horrible bladder spasms , that continued after the infection went away. My stress incontinence was fixed but replaced by spasms and urge incontinence. I went on Oxybutynin to settle my bladder down and it has subsided . It took about 2 months to completely resolve. I still take Oxybutynin due to MS related bladder issues too.

Helpful Tips

Diet and Incontinence
Did you know that dietary changes like avoiding chocolate and soda can help reduce incontinence? More
Was this Helpful?
9 of 16 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Diane Newman's website