Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

We will be discontinuing this community as of April 1, 2014. We value and appreciate your participation in this community and hope that you will continue to post your questions in the WebMD Digestive Disorders Community.
Adult bed wetting
An_191918 posted:
I am 23 and still wet the bed and have tried everything under the sun. When I was younger my parents got me the bed alarm which didn't last long because I'm such a deep sleeper it didn't wake me up and my parents got tired of waking up multiple times during the night. During that time I was also put on fluid restriction and doing keagle exercises. That was the extent of it for my childhood. As an adult a couple years ago I went to my dr. and asked him what I could do. He prescribed me some pills-their name escapes me for the moment but they helped but the moment I stopped taking them I was back to bed wetting. I'm at the end of my rope. I can go a month with out wetting the bed and then wet the bed every night for weeks. I pee soo much at night that I've stopped buying diapers because they're expensive and because I ended up over flowing them and getting everything wet anyways. I have also tried in the past waking up every hour to every two hours to go to the bathroom. I can go that often and still wet the bed in-between wake ups. I feel like my bladder goes into hyper drive at night and I don't know what to do. I sleep in a full size bed and I can soak every inch of it. I've also got poor bladder control during the day. I'm sort of like a leaky faucet which is gross. During the day as soon as I get an urge to go I have to find a bathroom quick or stop what I'm doing and focus all my energy into not peeing myself (I can usually get to a point where I no longer have the urge but it takes a lot of energy). There is no warning, it just hits me like a ton of bricks and can be painful if I have to hold it. Are there other options for me? Should I look into getting a catheter and cathing myself every night? That's not really what I want to do because it doesn't solve the problem. I just don't know what my options are, I've never had anyone advocate for me as a child and now that I'm an adult it's embarrassing to talk about and it seems as if my whole life it's been brushed under the rug.

Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hello Anon_182948 and thanks for posting.

I noticed you said you were on a medication which worked great, but then you stopped it. Perhaps it's an option for you to go back on that medication (or another) to treat your Bedwetting ?

You also don't mention seeing a urologist. They're the experts on coming up with treatment plans for problems like you decribe. I would encourage you to make an appointment and talk this out with someone who specializes in help adults like you. He or she will help you explore options and not brush the issue under the rug.

Update us if you have the chance,

Byroney

Helpful Tips

How to prevent UTIsExpert
Changing some of your daily habits may help you avoid urinary tract infections. Drink lots of fluid to flush the bacteria from your ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 32 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Diane Newman's website