Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Botox Approved to Treat Leaky Bladder
Byroney_WebMD_Staff posted:
There's another possible treatment if your incontinence is from MS or a spinal injury: Botox . "Nerve damage from these and other conditions can make it difficult for patients to retain urine. Patients often need medications to relax the bladder, as well as catheters to empty the bladder.

"Botox treatment involves injection of the drug into the bladder during cystoscopy. Cystoscopy is a medical procedure that lets a doctor see the inside the bladder. It sometimes requires general anesthesia.

"The Botox treatment for leaky bladder lasts nine months. In two clinical trials that enrolled nearly 700 patients, Botox decreased the episodes of urinary leakage per week." Follow the link to read the full story.

Would you consider Botox treatments? Have you tried them already?

Byroney

TDXSP08 responded:
My Plumbing may have problems,but Botox, artificial sphincters, supra pub catheters all that stuff ,NO WAY i'll stick to my Original equipment the way it is and wear the diapers i have been for the last many years of my life, they do not embarass me or make me feel less of my self, they are just another kind of underwear and a medical need just like my eye glasses or my wheelchair so many people let incontinence stop them from fulling living and they should not. As a matter of fact i was really funny to My Mother (she adopted when i was long out of diapers) I said you know Mom you thought you where so smart in adopting me when i was already out of diapers and potty trained well here's your nightmare your Son is in diapers what do you do know?? of course i was 36 years old and we bold laughed hysterically until years ran down our faces but its one of those moments in life that when it comes you have to "play" it because its just to funny to resist. ok joke therapy is over for tonight every please resume your regularly scheduled board reading.

Peace

Byroney_WebMD_Staff replied to TDXSP08's response:
Hello TDXSP08--it's always nice to hear from you!

Thank you for articulating your point of view with such forthrightness. I think there would so much shame and anxiety around any type of incontinence if people (including their doctors) could be so matter-of-fact about it.

I also respect the fact that some people feel they need to pursue each new option. Just like people who get eye surgery so they won't have to wear glasses.

My best,

Byroney

TDXSP08 replied to Byroney_WebMD_Staff's response:
oh Absolutely i'm not saying don't pusue a surgical intervention if You personally want such care, i was just stating for me i do not want to risk any kind of surgery to fix the plumbing because i am a person subject to Malignant Hyperthermia and anethesia if not done with just the right drugs for the right amount of time will cause me to die ( a large portion of people with central and or mini core diseases are subject to this fatal reaction) so for me that kind of stuff is out of the question as too risky ,but for anyone else who may want to have one of those done i will support them 110% without question .

And again i want to stress no matter how much or how little your incontinence affects your life, and no matter what method or method's of protection you use to help control it, So far as we know we only have 1 life to live, SO do not let incontinence hold you beck from 1 precious second of this life, do not reach the end of your time here on earth with regrets thats your incontinence problem held you back when in fact most people are so self absorbed they would never have known you wore protection if you stood in walmart and thats all you wore practicly.

Peace

Helpful Tips

Tips for Keeping your Bladder HealthyExpert
Like so many parts of our bodies, your brain, your bladder and the muscles that control your bladder are always communicating. When your ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 30 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Diane Newman's website