Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Punishment of School Children
GFD732 posted:
I was informed today by my child that his teacher uses denial of bathroom right as a punishment. I have also been told not to hold it in (urine) because it can cause many issues to develop.

My Question:
Will this form a punishment cause issues to my child's health? There are times that the teacher will remove privileges from everyone for the entire day.

Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hello GFD732 and welcome!

First, I would suggest talking to your pediatrician about this. If he or she feels it's harmful, he or she may be willing to write a note to that effect. That would certainly carry a lot of weight as an expert opinion.

This article on What Increases the Risk of UTIs in Children says, "Infrequent urination, incomplete emptying of the bladder, or constipation. These patterns are common during toilet training and make it easier for bacteria to build up in the urine."

I do not know the laws in your state, but in my state, a teacher would not be allowed to do this. Please make sure to experess your concerns to the principal and/or the school board--possibly with any other parents who may share your concerns.

Update us if you have a chance,

Byroney

Helpful Tips

Dealing with incontinence as an active person.
I've been dealing with incontinence due to a nerve injury for more than 20 years. I am 48 now and my incontinence began at age 25. However, ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 20 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Diane Newman's website