Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Nocturnal Enuresis and InterStim device
Quizical posted:
I have an 11 year old daughter who suffers from nocturnal enuresis. She has never had more than a few nights or perhaps a week when she did not wet the bed. I am divorced and she lives primarily with her mother (who does not communicate with me) so I am not clear as of this moment (I'll find out) what information or misinformation she has given my daughter's primary care physician and the urologist she has seen. I was told tonight that my daughter is scheduled to have the Medtronic Interstim device implanted next week to help with her bed wetting. I do know that my daughter has been on a medication in the past to control this without success and tried the bed-wetting alarm system (don't know how strictly it was adhered to) without success. I do know that no real consistent attempt has been made to restrict fluid intake in the evening either. My daughter's pattern of bed-wetting is not every night but I have noticed that even when she voids before bed and in the middle of the night (she now does wake up often and voids) she may wet in the wee hours of the morning even if her last voiding was an hour or two before. Perhaps this is when she is the deepest asleep(?). Also, during the night when she wakes to void, she does not drink any fluids so her last fluid intake would have been up to 6 hours before. I have found with what little research I have now done tonight that this device has not been approved for children under 16 and has not been studied in my daughter's cohort. As such I have obvious safety concerns for her growing body and nervous system in particular. I do know that one cause of nocturnal enuresis could be a not fully developed neuro pathway between the brain and bladder so could this intervention hamper that development? I have also not found any information online regarding this treatment for nocturnal enuresis in any cohort. Is this a proper treatment option for her (I know I have provided limited information and I will not base any decision on any responses here alone). What safety concerns should I have? What information can you share with me or direct me to other than a consult with her urologist (which I will have)?

Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
Quizical, hello and thank you for posting about your daughter. Unfortunately, we no longer have an incontinence health expert on this community.

I would encourage you to stop searching online, and instead seek a second opinion from another pediatric urologist before proceeding if you have any doubts. Perhaps some of our other members will have an experience to share with you, too.

Please update us on how your daughter is doing if you have a chance,

Byroney

Helpful Tips

Tips for Keeping your Bladder HealthyExpert
Like so many parts of our bodies, your brain, your bladder and the muscles that control your bladder are always communicating. When your ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 30 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Diane Newman's website