Skip to content
Adult Onset Bedwetting
An_247466 posted:
First, since I'm new here, hello all! Second, I saw my GP this morning who ran blood & urine, scheduled an IVP and will come up with a plan from there.

I wet the bed until I was nearly 16, but haven't had a single issue in 24 years. No amount of alcohol, prescription meds (including sleep aids), lack of sleep, or stress has ever been a problem. Until...

About 6 weeks ago I woke up in a wet bed. About 2 weeks later it happened again. 3 or 4 nights later it happened two nights in a row, and now it's almost every night.

Thank God my wife's an understanding woman. After the 3rd or 4th bout I bit the bullet and bought a bag of "adult briefs," aka diapers. I never thought I'd be wearing diapers again at 40... That's also when I called the doc.

I have no other symptoms. Nothing to indicate an infection. No daytime problems.

I hope this is something simple and it gets fixed in short order... I really don't look forward to hunting season in a cabin with my Father in-law, or upcoming trips out of town with friends at the moment...

Does anyone here have any experience with something like this? Anything specific that I should be looking at?

Cayce93 responded:
My sympathies. I wish I had answers. You had such a rapid increase in symptoms, I am surprised there is not some medical explanation. Or a severe, identifiable emotional component. Perhaps you have had a change in your sleep habits that have resulted in very heavy sleep from which you are not easily aroused.

I don't know what experience you had as a child or what you may have learned at the time, for better or for worse both physically or emotionally. I, too, wet the bed as a child, probably a couple of times a week until I was 11, at which time I stopped completely within a month. Never had an adequate explanation. At that time, I recall dreaming that I had to urinate and looked for a toilet. When I found one in the dream, I would actually consider whether or not it was a dream or real, decide it was real since dreams almost always seem real, and then proceed to at least start to wet the bed. Fifty years later, I again started toilet dreams but usually encountered a problem in the dream: I couldn't locate a bathroom, or there was a line, or the toilet was very dirty or stopped up. Unfortunately, I would sometimes find an acceptable restroom, and sometimes, but not always, I would start to pee.

The frequency did not increase as rapidly as yours. I had 2 or 3 years in between. When I had 2 in one month, I got quite depressed. The only precaution I took was a bed pad with a moisture barrier on my side of the bed.

My medical experience was for urge incontinence, which does not seem to be a problem for you. But I presume you would go through similar tests. The urologist checked to make sure my bladder was emptying properly, how much fluid intake would trigger the muscles that empty the bladder, et.c. (Unfortunately, my bladder muscles are very sensitive and are some of the strongest in my body....) There are several meds on the market to relax the bladder muscles. I have tried about 3 and have been on one for several years with limited success. The urologist had no more suggestions, and I see him only if something changes.

I hope you find some help. You are very young to start this problem, and it does seem to be interfering with your life.

An_247466 replied to Cayce93's response:
I will finally see a urologist this week, so I'm still hoping we find a physical reason for this and a means to correct it.

I can't completely rule out an emotional reason either, though I'm doubtful. I don't care to go into details, but there's definitely been some major emotional trauma recently. I discount it because I've been through other times of stress/tragedy and never had this effect.

I agree that the pace at which the frequency of my episodes is increasing is alarming. I also think it's odd that its restricted to a night time problem (though I'm exceedingly glad for it.)

Because of that, I'm tempted to think its more a sleep issue than a urinary one, but I'm at a loss beyond that.

Hopefully the docs come up with something soon...

Helpful Tips

Dealing with incontinence as an active person.
I've been dealing with incontinence due to a nerve injury for more than 20 years. I am 48 now and my incontinence began at age 25. However, ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 20 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Diane Newman's website