Skip to content
Incontinence due to MS
Lisasnyc posted:
I have MS and one of the symptoms is incontinence. I thought I had accepted this fact- about 85 of people with MS are incontinent.

I use underwear-diapers as I jokingly call them. But I work in retail so I am on my feet all day. Today, I had a leak that somehow trickled down my leg and left a couple of spots on the carpet .The spots weren't very big but of course urine has an odor. I mopped up the urine as best I could, vacuumed with Carpet Fresh and sprayed down deodorizer. Then I went to the rest room and cleaned myself up. ( I keep extra Depends on me.)

Everyone I work with knows about the MS, but only the managers know about my incontinence issues. The manager on duty was very kind , but I was so embarrassed that I left for the day and took some sick time.

What can I do? Does anyone have any suggestions ? This is the 2nd time I've had an incontinence issue at work. Are there biker short diapers so I'd have more protection? LOL Any suggestion would be helpful.

Thanks everyone, Lisa
P.S. I try to empty my bladder several times a day without the sudden urge that usually comes before.

Lisasnyc replied to evelyngilbert's response:
Thanks Evelyn;

I do take meds for the MS and my neuro told me its up to me if I want meds for the incontinence. Is there anything our members would recommend?

Luckily, no issue since the last post.

tracyq replied to Lisasnyc's response:
Hi! I have both types of urinary incontinence - troubles voiding and no warning to get to the bathroom. I found this site for supplies because the involuntary voiding overnight can be out of control.

http://www.caregiverpartnership.com/

Another thing is you might want to discuss a device called Interstim from Medtronic with your neurologist and/or urologist. It's like a pacemaker for the bladder that gets installed in your left buttock, on the S3 nerve. I have one and I love it! Only problem is that you might have to change program settings especially if your MS progresses. I have been playing with my settings for a few weeks trying to get the right one or a better and more effective setting. This is done with a remote control and a kind of paddle you place on the spot where the implant is. I had mine put in about 4 years ago.

As far as medicines, when I would have a sudden tsunami-level accidents out of nowhere, I tried Vesicare and it worked remarkably well for me, those accidents stopped happening. Problem is, there is no generic and they cost a fortune! I got a few boxes of samples from my neuro and hey worked a charm. I don't take them any longer because not only the cost, but I have ended up in the ER 4 times in the last 5 years with my bladder very close to bursting because I couldn't pee for days and my bladder was at max capacity -- they drained THREE LITERS out of me! So I don't need Vesicare to help me not void.

I try to self-cath with discreet, small caths but it can be challenging to get it into the urethra, but I was told about a new item that works as a guiding system to help with that. You can keep caths in your purse and take bathroom breaks and use those for more security. Here's the guide:

http://www.vitalitymedical.com/a-medical-the-asta-cath-female-catheter-guide.html?gclid=CJ3BouTK7MACFZBAMgodr0EANw

Best of luck to you both!!
Tracy

Helpful Tips

Tips for Keeping your Bladder HealthyExpert
Like so many parts of our bodies, your brain, your bladder and the muscles that control your bladder are always communicating. When your ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 31 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Diane Newman's website