Skip to content
Need help making it through work meetings!
An_255513 posted:
I'm a 50 year old male. My problem is not incontinence per se. That is, I can control when I urinate and have no problem with leaking.

My problem is that I occasionally seem to produce a lot of urine quickly. So I'll urinate a few times before a meeting and immediately before the meeting, and yet 10 minutes into the meeting my bladder's so full I'm ready to burst.

It's completely unpredictable as to when it will happen. Nervousness makes it worse, so it's a vicious cycle.

I need whatever help I can get to make it through meetings. I kind of doubt that diapers can handle as much liquid as I need them to. Maybe I need some time of external catheter with a bag attached to my leg. If so, I need it to be silent and leak proof.

Please, any suggestions as to specific products? Any success stories with dealing with this problem?

Fred

fred999 responded:
I meant to say "some type of" external catheter, not "some time of".

atti_editor responded:
Hi Fred,

Have you spoken with your doctor about what you are experiencing? If not, I suggest you make an appointment to do so. Frequent urination can be a sign of an underlying problem, or it could just be the problem. Your doctor will be able to diagnose what is going on and may have some helpful suggestions on how to avoid or control frequent urination at work. You might also want to take a look at this article on frequent urination causes and treatments . It has some suggestions of things that you can do at home or work to lessen the amount of times you have to go.

Best wishes,
Atti

fred999 replied to atti_editor's response:
Thank you Atti! I just browsed the article and will re-read it soon.
I've told my primary doctor and my urologist about the problem but they haven't been much help.

I am trying to retrain my bladder but it isn't easy. I have been thinking that maybe I am pre-diabetic but tests haven't shown signs of diabetes so far.

I've tried diet modification too, although I see in that article that chocolate is on the list and I never thought about that as being a factor. I've been having cocoa powder, without sugar, in the mornings. I'll try cutting that.

I wish there was a list of foods to increase to prevent frequent urination, and maybe some over-the-counter medicines. And I still think I'm going to need some sort of mechanical solution, as back up.

atti_editor replied to fred999's response:
Hi Fred,

I found a few more resources that you might find helpful. This first one has a more extensive lists of at-home treatment options. This article has some questions you might bring up to your doctor (I know that you said your doctor and urologist haven't been much help, but one of these questions might get the discussion started). And finally, this slideshow is a bit of an overview, but starting on slide 13 are some medications, surgical options and devices that you might want to discuss with your doctor if you feel that is the right route for you.

Best wishes,
Atti

fred999 replied to atti_editor's response:
Thanks again Atti!! Some excellent points in these articles. Thank you for taking the time to share these with me.

Fred

atti_editor replied to fred999's response:
Glad I could help!

-Atti

Helpful Tips

How to prevent UTIsExpert
Changing some of your daily habits may help you avoid urinary tract infections. Drink lots of fluid to flush the bacteria from your ... More
Was this Helpful?
20 of 33 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Diane Newman's website