Skip to content
Fertility Testing -- Not Just for Women
Yvette Smith, MD, MPH posted:
If you've been trying to conceive for over a year -- or for 6 months if you're a woman over 35 -- you may be thinking of undergoing fertility testing. Since both partners play a role in a couple's fertility, a formal semen analysis through your health care provider may be something to consider.

Semen analyses are tests that look for several different issues, including the total number of a man's sperm, if his sperm are living, if they are moving forward, and if they are the right shape. Problems in any of these areas can cause fertility issues.

It's important to note that a semen analysis done today actually reflects sperm production from a few months ago. So if there was a temporary problem at that time (e.g. severe illness), you might see abnormalities in the current semen analysis that no longer exist. Usually, a repeat test is ordered before determining if there is a real problem. In most situations, a man with one abnormal semen analysis should be examined by an urologist. If there are no obvious problems, a second test might be recommended. A referral to a male infertility specialist is also an option.

It can be a challenge to our sense of self -- for both men and women -- to discover you have a physical problem that's preventing conception.

How have you handled a diagnosis of male infertility? Do you have any tips for other community members?
skinnygirl11 responded:
We have been trying to conceive for over a year. I am 36, my husband is 41. We had a boy, who now is 5. My husband has been suffering from ED probably for 8 months, would that be a concern when trying to conceive? I think it is, but he doesn't agree. I am trying to get him to a doctor to have his spem checked but he is not very willing to do it. It's a little too embarrasing for him and I understand. But if we want to get pregnant I think he should be checked since he is having this "issue". I know I could be the problem too. There could be so many problems, and we wont know unless we get tested, but somehow I feel he should try first. Any advise?

Featuring Experts

David Walmer, MD, PhD is a reproductive endocrinologist and infertility specialist at Atlantic Reproductive Medicine Specialists . During his 25 year...More

Helpful Tips

trying to conceive tip
My OBGYN Lady Doctor told me to count 10 days from day one of your period... so I just started my period Friday December 2nd, so I will ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 10 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Fertility Center