Skip to content

Announcements

Exciting News for WebMD Members!

We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

What Do You Need to Do?

The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

Was it a chemical pregnancy??
    An_191759 posted:
    My boyfriend and i are trying to get pregnant and this month a few things pointed toward it having happened. My breasts were very sensitive and slightly swollen and my period was late by 4 days with just very light spotting (like literally one spot per day). But then on day 5 (saturday) i started cramping so bad all I could do was lay still and try not to cry. that night I started what i can only assume is my period. It was normal flow that night, but light yesterday and the day before. Today all I had seen so far is just a spot again and i have hardly any sensitivity on my breasts.

I had taken a pregnancy test on sunday and it was positive. Can anyone please explain what may have happened, or is currently happening? my boyfriend wants me to retest tomorrow at the earliest. will the results be different if it had been a chemical pregnancy?

KittyKatJenn responded:
    If you took a test and it said positive, my suggestion would be to go to the doc.

hgreenwood7058 responded:
    It is possible. If the test is lighter than what it was before than that may mean it was a chemical pregnancy. The cramping super bad and then bleeding sat (was it a lot?) may indicate early m/c but I am leaning more towards a chemical. Sorry. I would test tomorrow and then a couple days after that. If the line is getting doctor that may be a good sign. Or ask your doc to run an hcg quant now and then again in 3 days which will tell you one way or another. Good luck

SpazzyGem replied to hgreenwood7058's response:
    i took another test this morning, the clear blue digital test, and it too said positive. My boyfriend said the same thing, to wait another few days and test again. If its still positive we are going to make an appointment.

As far as the bleeding, it was lighter than normal but lasted the usual amount of time.

Thank you very much for your response!

Helpful Tips

trying to conceive tip
    My OBGYN Lady Doctor told me to count 10 days from day one of your period... so I just started my period Friday December 2nd, so I will ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    10 of 10 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Fertility Center