Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Ovulation- trying to concieve help!
tara8taylor posted:
I'm trying to track my ovulation, according to my cycles I was ovulating about 7 days ago (at that time I had the thick egg white like substance, tinged with a little blood). Now days later, I again have the egg white substance that should indicate ovulation, but the ovulation predicter stick was negative. Not sure what the blood might indicate. And is it possible to have that substance even if I'm not ovulating? My cycle is due in one week. (My first day of last period was 3/1).

hgreenwood7058 responded:
yes it is possible. Make sure to note that so when you chart next month you can see if its a pattern. Did you test with the ovulation stick 7 days ago or just when you noticed the EWCM this last time. Are your cycles pretty regular?

Bamahome responded:
hi! You might want to try charting your temp too. Make sure you get a BBT (basel body thermomemter) since it is more sensitive. This will help you pinpoint which day you are ovulating. The day that your temp is low is the day you are ovulating. It will rise the next day & stay high until you get your period. It doesn't really help with the immediate but after charting for 2-3 months, you should have a pretty good idea of which day you normally ovulate. Good luck to you!!

DUKE MEDICINE
Susannah D Copland, MD, MS responded:
Following your body's signs can be a great way to identify ovulation. Sometimes, however, our body is difficult to interpret. As an egg approaches ovulation, estrogen goes up and cervical mucus increases in water content to make it friendlier to sperm. The LH surge you are tracking on your kits usually occurs one to two days prior to ovulation. Temp rise occurs after the egg is out and the cyst of ovulation that develops where the egg grew produces progesterone. The cyst of ovulation can only last 2 weeks unless you are pregnant. Two weeks after ovulation is the time to expect a period or check a pregnancy test. One way to confirm your interpretation of your body's signs, is to show your charts to your Ob/Gyn. They can check a progesterone level one week after you believe you ovulated. If the level is high, you are following your ovulation well. If the level is low, you may not be ovulating robustly and your OB/Gyn can evaluate further. Good Luck!

agive7280 responded:
How many times must i have sex to be able to conceive my wife in a month

Tutumania replied to Susannah D Copland, MD, MS's response:
Hi my name is christine,
I'm 26 and Ive been trying to have more children since I was 19. But theres been no luck. Ive had P.I.D and Trich before so is there a possiblity I cant have anymore kids. I want to take a fertility test but dont know how or who to talk to to get one. I need some help my son is 11yrs old now and getting lonely as a only child. Please whatever you can tell me I all ear to listen. If possible contact me direct at crissychrischristin@live.com

THANKS!

tristan09 replied to Susannah D Copland, MD, MS's response:
if i am still ovulating can i be pregnant?

westgatekatie replied to agive7280's response:
I would every day

skjohnson89 replied to agive7280's response:
as many times as possible!

Featuring Experts

Dr. Copland brings scientific understanding, sincerity, and empathy to her medical practice in assisted reproduction.Dr. Copland pursued an undergrad...More

Helpful Tips

New Committee Opinion on Female Fertility TestingExpert
New Guidelines on Fertility Testing! American Society for Reproductive Medicine (ASRM) released a Committee Opinion on evaluation of the ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 6 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Fertility Center