Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Does fertility medication affect cycle length?
PetalTouch posted:
First I'd like to give my sincere thanks to WebMD for giving me numerous pointers that have really helped me take charge of my fertility, something I quite honestly never paid that much attention to until now. Thank you all so much! My concern now is this: My cycles have for the most part been, as DH puts it, like a Swiss clock, between 26-28 days. However, all of a sudden, they've been all over the place with a shift from CD28 to 38 & 39 for May and June respectively. My doctor then put me on 2.5mg Femara for this cycle from CD3 then advised that we commence with BD from CD10. However, from my calculations I should be ovulating from CD23. So, why do the BD from CD10? My OPK test today (CD10) was negative. Does my doc know something I don't??? Secondly, what could have caused the shift in my cycles by 10 extra days? Kindly respond.
Me-32,DH-33,TTC- 5cycles

Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
Howdy PetalTouch!

Those are good questions. Have you asked your doctor?You may want to ask if it might be from the Femara.

As far as calculating ovulation, that is a tricky thing unless you are getting ultrasounds and you can actually see it. I don't know if your doctor is being cautious or what reason he or she has for the instructions given. That's why asking your doctor will get you a specific reply, rather than a general one.

Please keep us updated!

Byroney
Hope is a thing with feathers / That perches in the soul, / And sings the tune without words / And never stops at all. - Emily Dickinson

PetalTouch replied to Byroney_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thanks Byroney! Kinda sensed you'd tell me to speak to my Doc lol! Well, the question answered itself. I got a smiley on my OPK today, for the first time..so cool! Which would place my ovulation to be within 12-48hours of my CD14-16. In which case my O day moved from CD23-25 to now. Thank God I started testing my OPKs early or I would have missed it!

Oh, My Doc is in my home country which is why I can't reach her easily. I was put on Femara for PCOS following my last highly irregular cycles.Still haven't found a gynae in my "new" country of residence, but will do soon.
Me-32,DH-33,TTC- 5cycles

Featuring Experts

Dr. Copland brings scientific understanding, sincerity, and empathy to her medical practice in assisted reproduction.Dr. Copland pursued an undergrad...More

Helpful Tips

New Committee Opinion on Female Fertility TestingExpert
New Guidelines on Fertility Testing! American Society for Reproductive Medicine (ASRM) released a Committee Opinion on evaluation of the ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 6 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Fertility Center