Skip to content

Announcements

Exciting News for WebMD Members!

We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

What Do You Need to Do?

The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

Includes Expert Content
    cervical mucus and ovulation
    Anon_49874 posted:
    I know that one of the signs of ovulation can be the clear slippery CM (egg white CM), but I wanted to know if you are actually ovulating on the day with the MOST abundance of this CM, or the day after, or the day before?

kmetz123 responded:
    I don't think you can use EWCM to determine when ovulation actually occurs. It just generally tells you when you are most fertile. I.e. you will probably have up to a few days before, maybe a day after ovulation and then it will dry up. Moral of the story is - if you have EWCM, you go for it!

Yvette Smith, MD, MPH replied to kmetz123's response:
    You're absolutely right. The egg white cervical mucus generally indicates a time of increased fertility, but would not be used to indicate the exact time of ovulation. Most of our test are designed to give us an idea of a time of increased fertility but can not tell you exactly when you ovulate. This is why we want people to keep a little broader time frame when they are timing intercourse. We rarely tell someone that there is just one optimal day. We usually are talking about a range of days that are good for attempting to conceive.

TTC18510 responded:
    I don't have that "slippery egg white" CM at all...I think that's the heart of my problem TTC

Helpful Tips

New Committee Opinion on Female Fertility TestingExpert
    New Guidelines on Fertility Testing! American Society for Reproductive Medicine (ASRM) released a Committee Opinion on evaluation of the ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    9 of 9 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Fertility Center