Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    17 months since last Depo shot....
    Cowgirl6598 posted:
    My husband and I have been trying since August 2011 to conceive. I was on Depo for 21 months, my last shot was the beginning of October 2010. Prior to Depo my cycle was like clock work. EVERY 28 days, always first thing in the morning. After having crazy periods from the Depo, my periods started to regulate in October 2011. My cycles since have been 30 days, then 29, 30, and my last one was 28 days. I haven't tried to mess with OPKs. I have been taking pre-natal vitamins since August 2011. We BD at least every other night most cycles (especially between days 10-20). Any advice?
    David K Walmer, MD, PhD responded:
    It sounds like your cycles are back to normal. Using an OPK to confirm is not a bad idea. It is not unusual fo take 2-6 months to conceive but since it has gone beyond that it may be a good idea to also get a semen analysis and an HSG to make sure that you aren't missing another significant problem. Good luck!
    Cowgirl6598 replied to David K Walmer, MD, PhD's response:
    Well AF showed up today (making my last cycle only 26 days). I plan on calling my doctor tomorrow to make an appointment for hopefully next week to see what she thinks. Is there a certain type of doctor my husband needs to see for a semen analysis? also what is an HSG?
    Yvette Smith, MD, MPH replied to Cowgirl6598's response:
    A urologist can perform the semen analysis for your husband. Fertility clinics can also perform this test. In our area, regular labs no longer run this test so we have to use one of the specialists. Check with your gynecologist, they can let you know how the test is done in your area.

    The HSG is an xray to see if your tubes are open. A small amount of dye is injected into your uterus and then pictures are taken. We are looking to see if your uterus has a normal shape and if the tubes are open. It is another component of the infertility evaluation.

    Helpful Tips

    New Committee Opinion on Female Fertility TestingExpert
    New Guidelines on Fertility Testing! American Society for Reproductive Medicine (ASRM) released a Committee Opinion on evaluation of the ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    9 of 9 found this helpful

    Helpful Resources

    Be the first to post a Resource!

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Fertility Center