Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
s2bmama posted:
im scared that i wont be able to have kids im 23 and since day one of having my cycle its never been predictible is there a over the counter medication i can take with the prenatal that will boost my chance on conceiveing?
blueeyebaby responded:
You should talk to you doctor. I personally don't ovulate on my own which leads to irregular cycles. With no ovulation, there is no progesterone increase/decrease to lead to a period. My doctor tested my hormones and figured this out. From there they treated me with medication to help me ovulate and conceive my first two children. I am currently trying for our third. There are many reasons why you could be irregular and none of them are reasons to be scared to talk to your dr. It isn't good to try and take something over the counter or prescribed to aid in fertility without doctor supervision. They have heard it all and can best help you!! Good luck on your journey and feel free to stick around on these boards to get support. They have helped me so much through it all.
Yvette Smith, MD, MPH responded:
I completely agree with blueeyebaby's response. Let's be proactive about figuring this out. I would not use over-the-counter products and expose a potential pregnancy to products that might not be necessary.

Get in and see your caregiver. Tell them your history and let them investigate your issues. There may be some very easy and straightforward treatments that will help normalize your cycles and help you get pregnant. Knowledge is power in this situation.

Best wishes and keep us updated.

Featuring Experts

David Walmer, MD, PhD is a reproductive endocrinologist and infertility specialist at Atlantic Reproductive Medicine Specialists . During his 25 year...More

Helpful Tips

trying to conceive tip
My OBGYN Lady Doctor told me to count 10 days from day one of your period... so I just started my period Friday December 2nd, so I will ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 10 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Fertility Center