Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Troubled
amymarie30 posted:
I've known since I was 19 that it would be difficult for me to conceive. I'm overweight and never really had regular cycles. What can I do on top of exercise to help regulate my cycle?
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Yvette Smith, MD, MPH responded:
If you haven't spoken with your caregiver at this point, go in and talk to them. There are sometimes chemical causes that explain weight issues and irregular periods. Do you tend to carry your weight more in the middle of your body (around your waist) or lower in your body (around your hips)? Do you have issues with extra body hair or acne? Exercise is definitely important but there may be other things going on that can be addressed to help with pregnancy but also to help you feel better in general.

neshaakayy replied to Yvette Smith, MD, MPH's response:
am having a similar case and have recently gained weight in stomach area.. i do have slight facial hair but always considered it hereditary.. have asked questions with clinicians and they advise to lose weight or relieve stress.. we are trying to conceive and its gets stressful when i have periods longer than 7 days and they seem to come less than every 28 days

missverjan replied to Yvette Smith, MD, MPH's response:
I too have a similar issue. I have been pregnant before, but sadly, that pregnancy ended in a still birth, full term. Saying that my periods are irregular would be a major understatement. I rarely get them. Maybe every 6 months to a year and once I do they only last like a day or 2 and are really faint. My doctor took all the tests, they all came back normal, but I still don't have a normal cycle. All he was able to say was that I would need help getting pregnant and guaranted that I can conceive based on the fact that I've been pregnant before. Does anyone else have any advice or maybe home remedies, even over the counter things that may help or should I just find myself a new doctor?

kamilacbronx replied to missverjan's response:
I understand your concern. I been trying to conceive for a long time now. I have been to many doctors but they told me the same thing. They said everything is normal. So, I begin searching for the right doctor. I went to the gynecologist. He took a pelvis sonogram. He then suggested for me to see a endocrinologist because it seemed I had a hormone problem. Yes, I agree you should see another doctor until you get the right answer. I wish you the best.

egbertist replied to kamilacbronx's response:
hav the same problem the doctors say everything is normal hormones and everything eles but yet i can get pregnant have irregular mentral cycle also the dr saidi need help getting pregnant. dont know what to do anymore whant a baby tho real bad

Fiskers89 responded:
I have thought I had PCOS (PolyCystic Ovarian Syndrome) since I was about thirteen. I have only recently found that it was never PCOS but a thyroid problem. Thyroid issues have caused my weight problem, irregular periods, and have pretty much just messed up my body. But thankfully my CNP put me on Synthroid and it has mad a world of difference my cycles are right on track and coming monthly and I have noticed a difference in my energy and weight. It might not be the right solution for you but talk to your CNP or doc and see what they say. And if you happen to really have PCOS then try Metphormin i know its a diabetes drug but it has recently been linked to helping with PCOS.

mom22girl replied to missverjan's response:
HI I understand what your going thru I was diagnose with PCOS in March 2012 did not have a cycle for 4 months,I when to see a GYN gave me Provera 10mg for 10 daysit worked but i wanted to do something more nature started looking on-line and started doing a warm lemon water detox first thing in the morning also taking fertilaid,fertili tea and spearmint tea to lower my free testosterone and am happy to say that the first day i did this I notice some light bleeding two days later i had a normal cycle
Hope this Help Just keep trying best wishes

JMcGuire526 replied to mom22girl's response:
Hi Mom22girl,

I went off the pill in June because my husband and I would like to concieve. After going off the pill I had 1 normal period, 1 long period and now I have been without a cycle since early August. I was wondering if you could please give me more information about the lemon detox, teas and vitmains you took. I am really interested in trying a natural method before I return to the Dr. and I am not sure of where to start. I would really appreciate it if you could give me details! Anything helps!!!
Thank you so much for your post!

-JM

mom22girl replied to JMcGuire526's response:
HI JMcGuire526

The first thing I did was the fertilaid pill 3x a day only for 10 days just because i had an app with my GYN so I stop taking them to start PROVERA I do have PCOS .My GYN looked at the Vitamins And said that from the ingredients they were good and safe.After going to online for months I gave up and the last the while searching for revies on Spearmint teas I went to (justmommies) web on there was a post that said HOW EVAN & AAILYAH CAME TO BE,so i read her sorry it touch my heart I took some of does ideas and did what I thought would work for me.Started with 1cup of warm water to 1/2 or 1 whole lemon at 6:00am then at 7:00 fertilaid 3x a day also spearmint tea 1x a day and last was fertili tea 2x a day.for reviews on fertilaid and fertili tea go to Fairhavenhealth.com also just go to google and type in spearmint tea -justmommies and on 1 of the post/comments you will see Evan & Aaiyah .hope this helps.BEST WISHES I will give you and update soon on preg test that i will take,I'm praying that are wishes would come true and we will be bless with a little one soon,but I'm still happy that God has given me 2 beautiful girls.Sorry for it being so long i hope it can help in any way.

countrygirl111985 replied to missverjan's response:
I have a very similar problem. Doctor after doctor told me I was fine and that I would just need help when it came time to try for a baby. After years of not having a cycle I then started what I thought was a cycle that didnt end. The docotr told me it did not affect my life that much and I was all ready for birth control so he did nothing. I went to a new doctor. In about 30mins she had ssechedualed me for a DNC and alot of other test. When your hormones are not normal your uterin lining can build up. I have dangerous pre cancerous cells and polops. Dont take "it's normal" for a answer. Make sure they have done everything in there power. My doctor put me on monthly hormones so that my uterin wall will not build up and turn cancerous. Please make sure that all is checked, I have seen too many women who could have been helped but were not. Hope this helps and good luck.

jbailey replied to Yvette Smith, MD, MPH's response:
I am 22 and have already been told i am High Risk for breast cancer. I do not ovulate or have regular periods. Those are the only tests the Dr wanted to run. I do have acne and facial hair. I was 120 lbs until last year and I gained 30 lbs. so I am now 154 ish. I was on birth control until March when my husband and I decided we wanted to start trying. I don't know what to do. I can't do fertility becuase I can't afford it and insurance doesn't cover it. Birth control is something I should try and stay away from. I dont know what else to do Help!

krnkygrl replied to Yvette Smith, MD, MPH's response:
i'm having the same problem my husband n i would like to have a baby and i took all the steps to start having my cycle regular my dr gave me prover and i only take that every two months if i don't get a cycle and then metformin er 750mg twice a day cause im not ovulating and i go back for a check up in six months i been on the metformin since november of last year and i have yet to get a cycle but i have syptoms as if my cycle wants to come but nothing my husband n i been trying to conceive since last year and still nothing but i have a child from a previous relastionship i guess my question is when well i know if the metformin is workiing i have weight on my stomach area im 150 was 154 and still working out and lil by lli im losing weight my face is breaking out but that started when i took the metformin and thats one of my signs that i get when my cycle is coming

Penni76 responded:
Hi! Have you been checked for PCOS ? I also have been irregular since I was 15 and I am now 36... years ago I was diognosed with it.

Featuring Experts

Dr. Copland brings scientific understanding, sincerity, and empathy to her medical practice in assisted reproduction.Dr. Copland pursued an undergrad...More

Helpful Tips

New Committee Opinion on Female Fertility TestingExpert
New Guidelines on Fertility Testing! American Society for Reproductive Medicine (ASRM) released a Committee Opinion on evaluation of the ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 6 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Fertility Center