Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Medroxyprogesterone??
beccarn09 posted:
Hi all..I am 26 years old...Got married in November. I was on Birth control Pills for almost 9 years. We are wanting to start trying to get pregnant, but I have not had a period since stopping the Pills. Made appt with OB. She started me on medroxyprogesterone to try to "kick start" my period. Just wondering if anyone has had to use this before and if it worked? Did you get your period the next month without the medication?? I am really nervous that I wont have a period..and have problems getting pregnant...Scared and confused

Mrs62610 responded:
I have used it several times. The longest I waited to start my period after taking it was 8 days. It varied a lot, though. I did not start my period the next month because I was not ovulating after stopping birth control. I have since been put on Clomid and am ovulating and get my period when I'm supposed to. Hope this helps! Come back and let me know how it goes!
Me-24 DH-37 TTC 1 for 11 months. Start 3rd round of Clomid 3/8/12.

beccarn09 replied to Mrs62610's response:
This worries me...I wondered if the medication would make me have a period once with it....But then not again the next month.Did you bleed a long time when your period started while taking the progesterone?? How long have you been on clomid for?

Mrs62610 replied to beccarn09's response:
In my case, I was not ovulating so I didn't have a period until I used it again. I have since done 3 rounds of Clomid and got my period the first 2 times because I ovulated. My periods usually last about 4 1/2 days and they weren't too different with the medicine as I recall. I am still waiting on my period this cycle. I am 1 day late with negative hpt's. I'm going to call my dr's office Monday and see if they can do a blood test to see if I didn't ovulate or if I'm pregnant and the tests aren't showing it.

When you say 3 rounds of clomid do you mean 3 months? Do you just take the medication 1 a month? And then it helps you ovulate, then that is when you are most fertile? Sorry so many questions!! Just concerned. Have you heard of anyone take the progesterone pill then having normal periods? Or most of the time it doesn't work. It seems like from the other reading I have done, most people don't have much luck with this medication. Good luck with the pregnancy test!! Praying for a positive!! Do you have other children already? Thanks for talking me through this!

Clomid is taken for five days per cycle. I take it cycle days 5-9. I then test with ovulation predictor kits to see when I'm ovulating. I think it just depends on why you aren't getting your period whether you get a period the next month. It seems for most people they do get their period while or shortly after taking it. I don't mind the questions, I was so grateful to everyone for answering mine when I was just starting out! Also, that is why we are all here, to share and compare experiences and lean on each other!

We don't have any children yet. Hopefully that will change soon! Keep me posted!

OK thanks for your thoughts!! It helps to know there are other people out here with lots of questions!! Oh I hope it works for you!! I feel so bad for couples who try and try and try...You have to have positive thoughts. Thats what I keep telling myself..Positive thoughts brings positive things!! I truly believe that!! I have another question...Ok so I finished my progesterone pills on Friday. Still no period yet...I think I read it can take up to 8 days to start....So I have a period...That means I ovulated right? So then do we just have sex every day after? You know what I mean? Since I ovulated with the medication..then on days 10 after period just have sex everyday because that means that my body is fertile since I had a period? Does this make any sense to you?? I am confused but it makes since...Then wait to see if I have a period next month? If i don't take a pregnancy test??

The progesterone doesn't make you ovulate it only induces a period. That doesn't neccessarily mean that you won't ovulate after having your period, but, if you were not having a period before the medication then it is possible that you are not ovulating. I would suggest using an ovulation predictor kit. That way you can see when and if you are ovulating. If you can't get a clear read on the OPK (few have trouble with the OPK's) then I would talk to your dr about testing for ovulation.

Around the time of ovulation they suggest having sex every other day or if DH's sperm count has been tested and it is not low then every day is fine too.

Oh ok..I guess I thought that meant that I was ovulating if I had a period. good to know. When is best time to test for ovulation. On the 10th day after your period? Or somewhere around there. I know they say to count from first day of period, then like 12 days afer you should ovulate? Then just test on those days to see if I am? I know there is other ways to test, like temperature, but my doctor did say I could buy some of the kits, but I forgot to ask her when to test?

The first day of your cycle starts on the first day of full flow, not spotting. Just thought I would mention that because that can throw you off the right time to take the medicine. Some say to wait several days after the last Clomid pill to start using O tests, but I start using them 2 days after my last pill. (Say my last pill is on Tuesday then I start the kit on Thursday) I have never done the Basal Body Temperature (BBT) tracking so I can't really say if that's a good way to go. I do know that doing the BBT it will only tell you that you have already ovulated and the O kits tell you when you are about to. You are supposed to ovulate 5-10 days after the last pill, but last month I ovulated after the 10 days.

maragayle replied to beccarn09's response:
You may want to ask your doctor regarding when your cycle officially starts. Rather than the first day of a normal flow, my doctor and my RE have indicated spotting counts as CD1.
Me 23, DH 24, TTC 21 months, 8 rounds of Clomid unsuccessful, trying 7.5mg Femara next cycle

Mrs62610 replied to maragayle's response:
Oh I had never heard that before. I always was told that it is the first day of flow. Thanks for the info, I'll have to ask my new dr what they consider it to be when I switch. I wonder if that could be messing me up with when I take my meds. Hmmm

Well I kind of started spotting last week. It has never really amounted to anything. Very very very light. I don't know what to think...I guess I thought with this medication I would have lots of bleeding. But that has not happend yet. I think I am going to wait a week see what happens then call my OB again. I dont want to freak out...But very concerned with having no real period with this medication..I will talk to her about what day counts if spotting does or a normal flow. I am hoping everything will work out! I guess since I started spotting on Thursday...When should I try an ovulation test?

I spotted a day or two before AF when I took it but never for that long. That's not to say that's not normal for you. I would give your dr a call and ask them what they think.

Featuring Experts

Dr. Copland brings scientific understanding, sincerity, and empathy to her medical practice in assisted reproduction.Dr. Copland pursued an undergrad...More

Helpful Tips

trying to conceive tip
My OBGYN Lady Doctor told me to count 10 days from day one of your period... so I just started my period Friday December 2nd, so I will ... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 8 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Fertility Center