Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Pcos? HA? And no signs or symptoms
An_247788 posted:

I hope you can provide me with some clarity. Im 31 y.o. Last year my mences stopped coming for months at a time. The obgyn did many test and all came back fine. He gave a pill to bring down my mences (and it worked) the put me on birth control. I took the birth control for 5 months and stopped. 2 months later my mences disappeared. The obgyn gave me the same pill to make it come down again and it didn't work. He was honest and said he doesn't really know what to tell me.He gave me a clinical diagnosis of pcos (i dont have any of the s/s of pcos) and referred me to a infertility md. I went to the infertility MD he then did a series of test, a failed IUI (Im also trying to have a baby) and now he diagnosed me with hypoThalamic Amenhorrea. I've been reading abt both pcos and HA. I'm so confused b/c I'm not obese, I don't have an eating disorder, acne or excessive hair growth. I don't have any medical problems except slight anemia which I was informed about in my mid 20s. Is it possible to diagnose me with pcos and HA and no have any of the clinical s/s?
Joel Bernstien, MD responded:
Great question. Diagnosing PCOS is usually made only once other things have been "ruled out". Sounds like the REI doc "ruled in" a hypothalamic disorder. This can be isolated to the hormones that affect ovulation and can be asymptomatic aside from the problems you are having.

I would readdress any more specifics with your REI doctor, as they are truly the experts in this area.
Iwannahearmama replied to Joel Bernstien, MD's response:
Thank you so much for the reply.

Featuring Experts

David Walmer, MD, PhD is a reproductive endocrinologist and infertility specialist at Atlantic Reproductive Medicine Specialists . During his 25 year...More

Helpful Tips

New Committee Opinion on Female Fertility TestingExpert
New Guidelines on Fertility Testing! American Society for Reproductive Medicine (ASRM) released a Committee Opinion on evaluation of the ... More
Was this Helpful?
9 of 9 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Fertility Center