Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    Conceiving for Homosexuals
    lonettemcm posted:
    Hi, I am a lesbian and me and my partner are interested in having our own child. We heard about a procedure called haploidization. Is this available? Or something like it?
    Joel Bernstien, MD responded:
    I am not aware of haploidization as a commonly used, scientifically perfected strategy to conceive.

    On the other hand, I take care of MANY lesbian couples. Almost all of them conceive using intrauterine insemination with donor sperm. If both woman in the couple are suitable carriers of a pregnancy, what they do is purchase enough of the sperm up front for multiple pregnancy attempts. One of the partners will conceive and deliver the first time and then the other partner will try the next time. That way both can experience childbearing and both have a child with their genetic makeup. The siblings will be genetically related as well (via the sperm donor).

    There are certainly other ways to do this, but this is what my patients have done and seem very happy with the process.

    Helpful Tips

    New Committee Opinion on Female Fertility TestingExpert
    New Guidelines on Fertility Testing! American Society for Reproductive Medicine (ASRM) released a Committee Opinion on evaluation of the ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    9 of 9 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Fertility Center