Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Conceiving for Homosexuals
lonettemcm posted:
Hi, I am a lesbian and me and my partner are interested in having our own child. We heard about a procedure called haploidization. Is this available? Or something like it?
Joel Bernstien, MD responded:
I am not aware of haploidization as a commonly used, scientifically perfected strategy to conceive.

On the other hand, I take care of MANY lesbian couples. Almost all of them conceive using intrauterine insemination with donor sperm. If both woman in the couple are suitable carriers of a pregnancy, what they do is purchase enough of the sperm up front for multiple pregnancy attempts. One of the partners will conceive and deliver the first time and then the other partner will try the next time. That way both can experience childbearing and both have a child with their genetic makeup. The siblings will be genetically related as well (via the sperm donor).

There are certainly other ways to do this, but this is what my patients have done and seem very happy with the process.

Featuring Experts

David Walmer, MD, PhD is a reproductive endocrinologist and infertility specialist at Atlantic Reproductive Medicine Specialists . During his 25 year...More

Helpful Tips

trying to conceive tip
My OBGYN Lady Doctor told me to count 10 days from day one of your period... so I just started my period Friday December 2nd, so I will ... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Fertility Center