Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
B12 and infertility is there a connection
An_248394 posted:
Hi I just found out that I have a B12 deficiency, So I did some reading on the the internet, And found out that with having a low b12 it is harder to get pregnant and can lead to misscariages, So is this true please help, Because I had had one misscarriage and havent been able to have a baby since and it was 14 years ago

David K Walmer, MD, PhD responded:
Dear An_..,,
You are correct that concerns have been raised about a possible link between vitamin B12 deficiency and both infertility and miscarriage. However, there has not been a great deal of research in this area.
Vitamin B12 deficiency leads to a type of anemia called megaloblastic anemia, which is potentially problematic in a pregnant women and could lead to problems with her developing babies growth and also to a vitamin deficiency in the unborn child. This is an issue that you should address with both your gynecologist and probably an internal medicine physician to correct the condition before you attempt to conceive again.
If you have access to a medical library, here is a review article that you might want to look up.

Effects of folate and vitamin B12 deficiencies during pregnancy on fetal, infant, and child development. [Review> Molloy AM. Kirke PN. Brody LC. Scott JM. Mills JL.
Food & Nutrition Bulletin. 29(2 Suppl):S101-11; discussion S112-5, 2008 Jun.
The FDA has also prepared a nutritional guide for women who are pregnant or planning to conceive that you may also want to look at as well.
http://www.fda.gov/food/resourcesforyou/healtheducators/ucm081785.htm
Good luck.
Dr. Walmer

Featuring Experts

Dr. Copland brings scientific understanding, sincerity, and empathy to her medical practice in assisted reproduction.Dr. Copland pursued an undergrad...More

Helpful Tips

EWCM-EGG WHITE CERVICAL MUCUS
HIE ALL We had been ttc for 4 months now but we had no luck,i was ovulating right on time and we were bding religiously on the days but ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 6 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Fertility Center