Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Baby Blues
An_248497 posted:
Im 33 years old... I started having a menstrual cycle at the age of 14.. My cycles have always been irregular and is still this way at my age... Every 3 months, 4 months, or every 6months. I have 2 beautiful children boy: 9 and girl :12... My fiance and I have been trying for months to get pregnant, and. its just not happening.. Several visits have been made to my doctor with diagnosis that I have Cysts and Fiboroid Tumors.. The doctor says that its not impossible for us to conceive but it will be very difficult. I had 2 options: (1) get them lasered off temporarily and get pregnant. or (2) give up on having a baby and have a hysterectomy.. I refuse to believe that these are my only 2 options .. What else should I do?

David K Walmer, MD, PhD responded:
I would recommend getting a 2nd or 3rd opinion. Irregular menstrual cycles is often a sign that something in your system may need to be tuned up (thyroid, androgen/estrogen balance, etc.) and sometimes it is as simple as taking a pill for 5 days each month and sometimes it is more complicated. With regard to your fibroid tumors, some are more likely to be associated with infertility or miscarriages and some are not. It is important to know how close they are to the uterine cavity, how big and how many there are. It is usually possible to remove fibroids without doing a hysterectomy but that is a big operation and it is important to discuss the pros and cons of this will someone that you trust. At the age of 33, you don't have to rush into making a permanent decision like having a hysterectomy. Don't stop looking until you find a health care provider that will spend time with you and help you make the best decision. Good luck.

Featuring Experts

Dr. Copland brings scientific understanding, sincerity, and empathy to her medical practice in assisted reproduction.Dr. Copland pursued an undergrad...More

Helpful Tips

trying to conceive tip
My OBGYN Lady Doctor told me to count 10 days from day one of your period... so I just started my period Friday December 2nd, so I will ... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 8 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Fertility Center