Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Function of Genes
curiosityclemantine posted:
Do genes determine all aspects of development and behavior?

David K Walmer, MD, PhD responded:
I was almost afraid to respond to this question. However, it's a fun topic to ponder even though it might be opening a can of worms. The simple answer is no. However, experts from a variety of fields could organize an entire medical conference to discuss this question.

Identical twins provide a natural experiment to give us some insights into this question. Identical twins share the same DNA but develop into completely unique individuals. Why? One reason is that we do not express all of our genes. Some genes are turned on and some are turned off. This process is dynamic and appears to start shortly after fertilization and continues through our adult lives. In a sense, our environment influences expression of our genes. This is called epigenetics. Some environmental exposures increase our risk of developing cancer and others may lower our risk of developing heart disease.

This is an exciting area of research because it may be possible in the not-too-distant future to individually tailor medical therapies to individuals based on their known genetic code.
For couples who contemplate using eggs from donors, it may also be reassuring to know that the maternal environment may influence the development of their unborn children.

I'm not sure what sparked this question, but it certainly gives us an opportunity to discuss some interesting ideas. Looking forward to see what follows.

Featuring Experts

Dr. Copland brings scientific understanding, sincerity, and empathy to her medical practice in assisted reproduction.Dr. Copland pursued an undergrad...More

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

trying to conceive tip
My OBGYN Lady Doctor told me to count 10 days from day one of your period... so I just started my period Friday December 2nd, so I will ... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 8 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Fertility Center