Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    Question: 6-7 weeks and ultra sound showed no movement or heartbeat
    An_249159 posted:
    I'm 42 years old and took a pregancy test yesterday it said I was pregnant. I managed to get in to the doctor right away who confirmed a pregnancy. I had an ultrasound today and because my periods are all over the place we guess-timated that I was around 6.5 weeks...but I never ovulate according to any timeline. The Ultrasound Tech. saw a sac and was having a hard time find anything in the sac but she did see a dot that she circled and she said that was the beginning of a baby.

    When I brought the ultrasound sound results to the dr's office to make an appointment for a full checkup, the nurse took the ultrasound results and told me that the pregnancy was in all likelihood not viable because the ultrasound showed no movement or heart beat and she told me I would likely miscarry.

    I'm a pretty even keel person and a age etc all are factors to consider but should I wait more time just in case? From what I've read some information suggests at 7 weeks there should be movement and others say 10 weeks.
    Joel Bernstien, MD responded:
    It is always tough on ONE assessment to make the call if a pregnancy is viable or not. If the "DOT" that they called the baby measured greater than 6 weeks, there should be fetal cardiac motion. It is never wrong to ask your provider for another look in a week or so. It is amazing how much a normal pregnancy grows early on in one week and you will know with certainty if it is normal or not.

    Ask for another sono a week after the first!

    --Dr B

    Helpful Tips

    New Committee Opinion on Female Fertility TestingExpert
    New Guidelines on Fertility Testing! American Society for Reproductive Medicine (ASRM) released a Committee Opinion on evaluation of the ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    9 of 9 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Fertility Center