Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Tubal Reversal
An_249520 posted:
I got married May 4, of this year my husband only has 1 child and I have 4 (yes he married me anyway) But we are trying to have a baby of course my tubes were tied and I have to have them untied. I have done some research well a lot of research but now I would like to have an opinion of someone who has had this surgery. I live in Arlington, TX would also like referrals and yes we are willing to travel. Please and Thank you to you all.
David K Walmer, MD, PhD responded:
Having a tubal reversal is a big decision & I commend you for seeking advice first. If I were you I would seek the counsel of a reproductive endocrinologist or gynecologist that can help you assess your ovarian reserve & fertility potential. Our fertility potential changes silently over time. Second, I would investigate both tubal reversal and IVF as independent options. There are pros and cons to each. Tubal reversal allows you to conceive naturally. However, it is surgery and there is a recovery time. There is also the issue of having an increased risk of ectopic pregnancy and the possible need for reproductive assistance anyway. Also once you conceive you have the issue of contraception again. IVF has become much more successful in recent years & it does overcome some of the downsides of tubal reversal. The downside IVF is that your starting over if you don't get pregnant and use although oocytes that were retrieved. My advice would be to seek both personal and professional counsel. Good luck!

Featuring Experts

David Walmer, MD, PhD is a reproductive endocrinologist and infertility specialist at Atlantic Reproductive Medicine Specialists . During his 25 year...More

Helpful Tips

New Committee Opinion on Female Fertility TestingExpert
New Guidelines on Fertility Testing! American Society for Reproductive Medicine (ASRM) released a Committee Opinion on evaluation of the ... More
Was this Helpful?
9 of 9 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Fertility Center