Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    How long after stopping birth control?
    missyo1081 posted:
    I am 30 years old and my husband is 31. We are thinking of TTC at the end of the year. My problem is, when I as 18, I got on birth control because I was only getting my period a few times a year. I'm not worried that this will affect future attempts at getting pregnant. Also, 5 years ago, my ex and I did not use any type of protection or birth control for a full year and I did not get pregnant. He as also 20 years older than me, so I'm hoping it was HIM and not me!

    SO, when should I get off the pill? What if it takes me a while

    KayPeterson19 responded:
    You should make an appt before going off bc. And, you can start trying right after you are off it. Some people say to wait until your first cycle so you fcan track when you conceive! Good luck to you!!
    missyo1081 replied to KayPeterson19's response:
    Thanks Kay! I'm just worried that it will take me a sister had trouble getting pregnant, and my fear is I will too since I was irregular as a teen. Fingers crossed!

    Helpful Tips

    New Committee Opinion on Female Fertility TestingExpert
    New Guidelines on Fertility Testing! American Society for Reproductive Medicine (ASRM) released a Committee Opinion on evaluation of the ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    9 of 9 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Fertility Center