Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Conceiving after a still birth.
missverjan posted:
My whole life, I've had irregular periods. Once a year, sometimes 2 or 3 times a year. You can imagine the incredible shock I was in to find out I was pregnant, since I hadn't menstruated in over 6 months. I was 23 and it ended in a still birth.

It's almost 6 years since then and my periods are the same, extremely irregular, but I'm ready to take that journey again. I'm starting by losing all of the depression weight I gained after losing my son, a work in progress. I also met with a Gynecologist, hadn't seen one since my first pregnancy in 2007. According to tests,my hormone levels are low, but still within the "normal" range. The 10-day pills they gave me to force my period didn't work and the vaginal ultrasound came back normal too, so, what do I do?
If I don't have a menstrual cycle will I not be able to get pregnant?
Is there something my doctor didn't check that I should ask about?
Could something have gone wrong during my labor that someones not catching?
Any advice would help. Thanks.
Hyacinth Nicole Browne, MD responded:
Dear Missverjan,
In order to conceive, you have to ovulate and ovulation can be difficult to predict when your cycles are irregular. If you do not ovulate regularly, your physician or a specialist can prescribe hormones that induce follicular growth and development and that help to release the egg. I recommend that you contact your physician to discuss your next step.

Featuring Experts

David Walmer, MD, PhD is a reproductive endocrinologist and infertility specialist at Atlantic Reproductive Medicine Specialists . During his 25 year...More

Helpful Tips

5th month of TTC NEED HELP
I have used all types of ovuation calculator apps and even digital prediction kit. I dont know if they are all helpful because we have been ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Fertility Center