Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Help
An_250653 posted:
I am new to this forum. We've been married for 9months and we are planning to have a baby. I have a cycle around 34-35 days. I usually calculate ovulation, this month I did not have any cervical muscus, I only felt wet. I used this site ovulation calendar and we had intercourse as indicated in this calculator... Th thing that is concerning me is that after we have intercourse i really feel wet.... what are the reasons that i did not have any ovulation, can i have it later on..Can you help me pls!!!

David K Walmer, MD, PhD responded:
Dear An_250653, Understanding what is going on with a woman's reproductive cycle can be a lot like figuring out a puzzle. The first thing to do is to accept that you aren't going to get all of the answers all of the time. In fact, you might not have a clue what is going on some of the time. That is one of the beautiful things about women. Sometimes they are a mystery. The process of ovulation is an orchestrated dialogue between your ovaries and your brain. There are probably other members of the orchestra in there that we don't even know about yet. The only true proof of ovulation is a positive pregnancy test. The other pieces of the puzzle are things that we know are associated with normal ovulatory cycles. If I were you, I would keep a calendar and record days of bleeding, days of intercourse, cervical mucous changes, and the day the ovulation predictor kit turns positive. Don't start using the OPK until you can pretty accurately predict your next menstrual perioid. If you are having a normal ovulatory cycle, the OPK should turn positive 14 days before the next menstrual cycle begins. You want to start testing a couple of days before that. If your cycle is 34 days then the OPK should turn positive on cycle day 20. Your fertile period is 3-5 days leading up to the positive OPK. After that intercourse is recreation, not procreation, until the next month. If things don't seem right in any way, don't hesitate to take your data to your ob/gyn and sit down for a little preconception counseling. Try not to stress out too much. Remember in the long term the most important thing is relationships. Love your husband. Guide him in the process but don't forget that every day isn't about making a baby. After your kids are out of college, it will be back to just the two of you. This should be a time of fun and planning together. There are many paths to parenthood and sometimes that path requires a little help. I hope you don't need too much help. Good luck!

Featuring Experts

Dr. Copland brings scientific understanding, sincerity, and empathy to her medical practice in assisted reproduction.Dr. Copland pursued an undergrad...More

Helpful Tips

New Committee Opinion on Female Fertility TestingExpert
New Guidelines on Fertility Testing! American Society for Reproductive Medicine (ASRM) released a Committee Opinion on evaluation of the ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 6 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Fertility Center