Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Ovulation and LH Surges
brandi2022 posted:
Hello,

I have an ovulation question. I got a positive OPK yesterday when I tested at 1:30PM. Then I got a negative test at 6:30PM that same day. Today, I got another positive test at 1:30pm. I held my urine for 2-3 hours on each test, so I don't think one was diluted. I know that surges can last a day or two, but I don't know why I would have a positive, then go to negative, then have another positive. Thanks for any anwers.

David K Walmer, MD, PhD responded:
Dear brandi2022, Our goal is to figure out if your positive tests represent a real LH surge or not. Occasionally a woman will have a false positive test. Explanation: Women with ovulation problems sometimes have naturally high levels of LH in their blood stream that can result in a weak false positive OPK test. Those tests can alternatively be positive and negative. Alternatively, the test in the middle could have been a false negative test. There may have been something wrong with the one test that was negative. If you had a real LH surge then the hormone wouldn't really appear, disappear and reappear. We can figure this out by checking a serum progesterone one week after you had the surge and waiting to see when you get your next period. A real LH surge is followed by a rise in progesterone and the next period should appear about 14 days later if this is a normal LH surge. If the test was a false positive then your progesterone level will remain low. Here's hoping that it was the former and that your progesterone level is high but you miss your period because you are pregnant. Good luck!

Featuring Experts

Dr. Copland brings scientific understanding, sincerity, and empathy to her medical practice in assisted reproduction.Dr. Copland pursued an undergrad...More

Helpful Tips

trying to conceive tip
My OBGYN Lady Doctor told me to count 10 days from day one of your period... so I just started my period Friday December 2nd, so I will ... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 8 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Fertility Center