Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
meluvsjim posted:
I have irregular periods and I am on my period now. But I don't know when I ovulate. I take this pill called cabergoline. I really want kids so can some one please help figure out how I know when I am ovulating....
David K Walmer, MD, PhD responded:
Dear meluvsjim, As long as you are not having regular predictable periods, you are probably not having normal ovulatory cycles & your chances of conceiving are significantly reduced. Cabergoline is a medication that is frequently used to lower prolactin levels. Prolactin is a hormone that is associated with lactation (breast-feeding) that it also has many other effects in the body. One of those effects is to act directly on the pacemaker of your reproductive system. Mildly elevated prolactin levels can cause irregular cycles can higher prolactin levels can stop your cycles completely.There are other reasons why women may have irregular menstrual cycles. The most common reason is a hormone imbalance involving testosterone and estrogen that is commonly called polycystic ovarian syndrome. Occasionally, women with PCOS have mildly elevated prolactin levels. However, this prolactin abnormality spontaneously corrects when women begin ovulating. Hypothyroidism can also lead to a mildly elevated prolactin levels and ovulatory dysfunction. It makes sense for you to talk to your doctor so that you can understand why you are taking cabergoline and why you may not be having regular predictable cycles. It is very possible that a small adjustment in your medications may get you back on track very quickly. Good luck!

Featuring Experts

David Walmer, MD, PhD is a reproductive endocrinologist and infertility specialist at Atlantic Reproductive Medicine Specialists . During his 25 year...More

Helpful Tips

New Committee Opinion on Female Fertility TestingExpert
New Guidelines on Fertility Testing! American Society for Reproductive Medicine (ASRM) released a Committee Opinion on evaluation of the ... More
Was this Helpful?
9 of 9 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Fertility Center