Includes Expert Content
Help
meluvsjim posted:
I have irregular periods and I am on my period now. But I don't know when I ovulate. I take this pill called cabergoline. I really want kids so can some one please help figure out how I know when I am ovulating....

David K Walmer, MD, PhD responded:
Dear meluvsjim, As long as you are not having regular predictable periods, you are probably not having normal ovulatory cycles & your chances of conceiving are significantly reduced. Cabergoline is a medication that is frequently used to lower prolactin levels. Prolactin is a hormone that is associated with lactation (breast-feeding) that it also has many other effects in the body. One of those effects is to act directly on the pacemaker of your reproductive system. Mildly elevated prolactin levels can cause irregular cycles can higher prolactin levels can stop your cycles completely.There are other reasons why women may have irregular menstrual cycles. The most common reason is a hormone imbalance involving testosterone and estrogen that is commonly called polycystic ovarian syndrome. Occasionally, women with PCOS have mildly elevated prolactin levels. However, this prolactin abnormality spontaneously corrects when women begin ovulating. Hypothyroidism can also lead to a mildly elevated prolactin levels and ovulatory dysfunction. It makes sense for you to talk to your doctor so that you can understand why you are taking cabergoline and why you may not be having regular predictable cycles. It is very possible that a small adjustment in your medications may get you back on track very quickly. Good luck!