Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Trying to conceive after IUD (Mirena)
shortstack1979 posted:
I am just wondering if anyone has been having trouble conceiving after the Mirena was removed? How long does it take for someone to conceive after it is removed. I have had mine removed in October 2012 and still have not conceived.

David K Walmer, MD, PhD responded:
Although the Mirena IUD is a long acting type of contraception, its effectiveness depends on its presence. Once it is removed its effects should disappear quickly and you should return to your normal state of fertility. The average length of time that it should take a young couple to conceive is about four months. Since you have been trying for seven months without success, it would be very reasonable for you to talk to your primary care provider to make sure that you are ovulating and timing intercourse optimally. At some point may also want to get a semen analysis and an HSG to make sure that sperm and eggs are able to find each other. Approximately 15% of couples end up needing at least a little help. Good luck!

Vampymomma85 replied to David K Walmer, MD, PhD's response:
I had the Mirena put in April 2012. After much pain and horrid 10 day periods it was removed in October. I have been TTC since January after three punctual periods. My only question is I can feel when I ovulate and it is always followed by clear sticky discharge. Yet I am still waiting to conceive. My boyfriend and I have been together two years and I literally got pregnant two weeks after our first time sleeping together. I don't understand why I am having so much difficulty now. Just a little side note: I have had 2 c-sections and the pain from my periods while on the IUD was intense. My gyno told me the pain was because of my body rejecting the iud and noted discharge on one side of the Mirena so I don't know if maybe scarring developed while the Mirena was in place. Any guidance is appreciated I have limited options in regards to doctors.

Featuring Experts

Dr. Copland brings scientific understanding, sincerity, and empathy to her medical practice in assisted reproduction.Dr. Copland pursued an undergrad...More

Helpful Tips

New Committee Opinion on Female Fertility TestingExpert
New Guidelines on Fertility Testing! American Society for Reproductive Medicine (ASRM) released a Committee Opinion on evaluation of the ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 6 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Fertility Center