Skip to content

    Announcements

    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!


    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    New Committee Opinion on Female Fertility Testing
    avatar
    Susannah D Copland, MD, MS posted:
    New Guidelines on Fertility Testing!
    American Society for Reproductive Medicine (ASRM) released a Committee Opinion on evaluation of the infertile female in August 2012. This new Committee Opinion focuses on testing that is cost-effective, expedient, and minimally invasive. Here is the first installment of a three part summary:
    When is testing appropriate?
    85% of women will be pregnant within a year of trying, so testing is indicated for the other 15% who have not yet conceived after a year. Testing may start sooner if you suspect a fertility concern: age over 35 years, history of irregular periods, suspected scar tissue or endometriosis, suspected sperm problems. Women planning to use a sperm donor may also desire some level of pre-insemination testing.
    Questions your doctor will ask you:
    How long have you been trying?
    Describe:

    • · your periods (how many days from first day to first day, any pain?)
    • · any prior pregnancies
    • · any prior birth control
    • · frequency of intercourse
    • · surgery, injury, infection to the reproductive tract
    • · treatments for abnormal pap smears
    • · family history of birth defects, mental retardation, menopause, reproductive problems
    • · use of cigarettes, alcohol, recreational drugs.








    Reasons for the tests your doctor may offer:
    Do you release an egg?
    15% of infertile women do not ovulate robustly. Many times women with ovulation problems will have abnormal bleeding or irregular periods, however in some instances ovulation problems can be more subtle.
    Evidence that you are ovulating:

    • · regular predictable periods occurring within the interval 25-35 days
    • · greater than ten days of basal body temperature elevation each cycle
    • · positive mid cycle ovulation predictor kit
    • · Blood progesterone test greater than 3, 1 week before the period




    Testing that may be offered if you are not ovulating well:

    • · Thyroid
    • · Prolactin
    • · Follicle stimulating hormone with estradiol



    My next installment with cover How many eggs do you have? And how do test fallopian tubes?
    Have a great week!
    Was this Helpful?
    9 of 9 found this helpful
    Reply


    Helpful Tips

    trying to conceive tip
    My OBGYN Lady Doctor told me to count 10 days from day one of your period... so I just started my period Friday December 2nd, so I will ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    10 of 10 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Fertility Center