Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Birth Control concerns with fertility
BGentry posted:
I'm 31 and I stopped taking my birth control two years ago to try to conceive. My period has been close to nonexistent and only has showed up a handful of times. This happened the last time I took myself off of the patch after only being on it for three months. I don't currently have a job that gives me health insurance and I don't know what to do. I've looked online and haven't found anyone with this issue as long as I have. Has anyone heard of this taking this long?
Was this Helpful?
0 of 2 found this helpful
Joel Bernstien, MD responded:
You most certainly are not ovulating. At this point, two years from stopping contraception, the medication is not the reason you are not ovulating and thus not having a period.

I know it is tough being uninsured and getting access to care. There should be "free" care available through a local planned parenthood, health department, or academic institution.

Best of luck.


Featuring Experts

David Walmer, MD, PhD is a reproductive endocrinologist and infertility specialist at Atlantic Reproductive Medicine Specialists . During his 25 year...More

Helpful Tips

trying to conceive tip
My OBGYN Lady Doctor told me to count 10 days from day one of your period... so I just started my period Friday December 2nd, so I will ... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Fertility Center