Skip to content

Announcements

Interested in finding out where others are on their TTC journey? Then check out our Weekly List. Confused by all the abbreviations? We Have the Key!
trying IUI w/fsh injections?
kittie_44077 posted:
On last Tuesday the 12th I had an appointment with my doctor. He suggested IUI with fsh injections. He believes we could have more success this way. Any thoughts?
I called my insurance company and they did not cover any of it. The nurse said that it would be either follistm or gonal-f. Is there a difference? Does one have more sucess than the other?

me(32) DH(32) trying since july 2007 m/c#1 9-18-2009 @11 wks 3 days; m/c#2 6-30-10 @ 6 weeks.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

AprilCB responded:
no difference in the two meds, they're the same thing, just different name brand. I think one is a little less expensive than the other, but I'm not sure which.

IUI with injections is usually the first thing they try when they think you just need a little help. It's not so bad and it does work (though it didn't for me). I know one lady on this board did have her 1st IUI work about 4 or 5 years ago. IUI is much cheaper than IVF and much less invasive... not knowing your IF dx, I'm assuming your POAS or un-dx, in which case, you should listen to your dr and do the IUI. Good luck.
Cherie (36), DH (37), TTC 5 yrs. 1st IUI 11/09, 2nd IUI 1/10, 3rd IUI 2/10 all BFN. 1st IVF ER 6/6/10 ET 6/11/10 BFN. FET 9/28/10, beta 1 46, beta 2 108, us 10/25/10

jbird823 replied to AprilCB's response:
Welcome to the world of insurance not covering any IF treatments! I was lucky in that my insurance at the time covered my IUI's in 2005. When I attempted IUI's in Oct and Dec last year, they were not covered. I was using clomid so the baseline u/s cost $180 and the IUI itself including sperm washing was under $400. This was with my OB/GYN and not an RE.
As far as Follistim or gonal-f, not sure what the difference is. If we would have done IUI as originally planned, my RE was going to use Follistim but instead, we did IVF with it.

Good luck and hopefully the IUI works!
Janet (33), DH (34) M/C 10/05 Clomid/IUI DD born 9/6/06 8/07 ruptured ectopic, lost left tube 11/09 Clomid/IUI BFN, 12/09 Clomid/IUI chemical pregnancy 6/10 right ectopic IVF Sept/Oct, BFN

RunJessicaRun responded:
If you are wanting to take the next steps in TTC, IUI with injections is the way to go. As Cherie said much less expensive than IVF. Unless you were told IVF is the only way to conceive I would try IUI first, as it is also much less involved. I have a friend who got PG with twins on her 2nd IUI. She had her babies on new years eve 2009.

However, it is standard to only do 3 IUIs then move on to IVF or something else - laproscopy.

My insurance covered 6 IUIs lifetime but not the meds. The meds were around $800 per cycle.

Good luck!
Jessica (35) DH (38) TTC since 11/08; IVF 3 Oct10 Diagnosed DOR May10; all cycles BFN: IVF 2 May10; IVF 1 Mar10; 2009: 3 IUIs/follistim, 2 femara cycles. DH SA great.

chickeedoodle responded:
Hi- I've done many IUI's - had 2 successes, carried one to term. I did not do injectables, as my RE said it barely increases the success rate from oral meds, so she did not think it was cost effective. (I know all RE's have their own opinions, and that's just hers)

As far as Gonal F or Follistim - Gonal F is a bit cheaper. (I used those for IVF) I think Freedom Fertility is the cheapest site out there. They are the same type of drug - just manufactured by different companies.

Oh, and the standard of care at my RE's office was 3-6 IUI's - depending on reasons for needing IUI, so you might ask your RE how many times they would like to do this before moving on to IVF.

Good luck!

kittie_44077 replied to AprilCB's response:
We've both been tested for everything under the sun. They couldn't find anything wrong for us not conceiving.

kittie_44077 replied to jbird823's response:
We went thru this in IL and it was covered, but in OH there is no state mandate for IF treatments.

kittie_44077 replied to chickeedoodle's response:
In IL we did the IUI w/clomid. No success. We have decided to try one cycle w/the injections.

kittie_44077 replied to RunJessicaRun's response:
I think that if we do not have success at this IUI that we will go back to trying the old fashioned way. I did conceive 2 x's that way already. The other IF treatments didn't take when we were in IL. I will have to be on heparin once we do get there now. I've had testing done to see why I kept m/c and they found several clotting issues. Hopefully this treatment will work.
I never thought it would be this hard.

chickeedoodle replied to kittie_44077's response:
We used Femara, it is suppose to help with egg quality, but you don't see multiple eggs as often. Got pg 2x with it. The cycles I used Clomid (for Clomid challenge) I didn't do IUI's, the egg growth was too slow.

Good luck!!

KOOPERSMOM replied to kittie_44077's response:
I too have done IUI's with Clomid and Folistim, but with no luck. We have MFIF. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Where in Ohio do you live?
Sarah(35), DH(35), IVF/ICSI 1 DS-Kooper(2 years), IVF/ICSI 2 BFP with M/C at 9.5 weeks.

kittie_44077 replied to KOOPERSMOM's response:
the Cleveland area
me(32)DH(32)trying since july 2007. m/c 1 9-18-2009 @ 11 wks 3 days; m/c 2 6-30-2010 @ 6 wks.

AprilCB replied to kittie_44077's response:
when you did get PG, was it a regular mc or did you have ectopic PG's? If you didn't have an ectopic PG, try the IUI. You've proven you can get PG, they just need to get you to stay PG. If they were ectopic, then that suggests a tube problem, in which case even IUI is unlikely to help. If you get PG through IUI,they can give you support meds to help sustain the PG. Could make the difference.
Cherie (36), DH (37), TTC 5 yrs. 1st IUI 11/09, 2nd IUI 1/10, 3rd IUI 2/10 all BFN. 1st IVF ER 6/6/10 ET 6/11/10 BFN. FET 9/28/10, beta 1 46, beta 2 108, us 10/25/10

kittie_44077 replied to AprilCB's response:
Both m/c we found out (after many many blood tests) were due to some clotting issues that I have. They were regular m/c, not ectopic. When I do get pg, I will be put on 2 shots daily of heparin. I've gone thru IUI w/clomid in the past, none of those worked. The 2 times I did conceive was the old fashioned way. My doctor is suggesting the IUI w/fsh injections. He said that the fsh injections could be the key here to get me pg faster than the old fashioned way. However, insurance will not cover any of it. So we can only do one cycle and hope it works.
me(32)DH(32)trying since july 2007. m/c 1 9-18-2009 @ 11 wks 3 days; m/c 2 6-30-2010 @ 6 wks.

AprilCB replied to kittie_44077's response:
I think you have a good shot at IUI working for you. Good luck!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Let's see, DH and I decided in January of '08 to start trying. Things were moving slowly, but he also had an emergency appendectomy and then t...More

Helpful Tips

NEW HOPE TO GET PREGNANT: Mini-IVF less medicine, less cost and very effective
A new hope to fertility problems for all of us, less cost and very effective, learn more visit: www.nhfc.mx. Hope this help!! More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.