Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Interested in finding out where others are on their TTC journey? Then check out our Weekly List. Confused by all the abbreviations? We Have the Key!
FMLA leave from work?
AmyLouB posted:
Anyone used this? I'm just curious how much info you provided. There's a blank section that doesn't require a dx but asks about the treatment.... I'm not even sure infertility/IVF falls under FMLA.... Anybody got the downlow on this???

Thanks!
Amy (33), DH (43).  TTC 2 years- everything we've tried so far- BFN. Unexplained IF. Currently in IVF cycle 1 with ER on 9/25 and ET on 9/30.

jdfan14 responded:
Hi- For the info seciton about filling it out, you can just put your are going in for IVF cycle, maybe explain just a little bit that requires various appts. The rest s/b filled out by your doctor. All the detailed info gets filled out by your doctor. On whether IVF falls under FMLA it should be covered. Some states mandate that FMLA covers this time, you can find out via FMLA website (i think just www.fmla.com) state mandate coverage. My employer however is really strick on this and has been very difficult to deal with. I would fill out and give as much info as possible as you can so no delays in getting time approved. Hope this helps!

jdfan14 replied to jdfan14's response:
sorry think wrong on this website, i dont recall how i got to it but believe i did a search for fmla and came up w/website just cannot locate at moment

AprilCB responded:
I've done FMLA, but not for IF. There are no exclusions to type of medical condition for FMLA, so as long as the dr fills the paperwork out right, you should be ok. We tried to do for DH for IF, but my dr filled the paperwork out wrong and we got denied, which was fine, we ended up not needing it anyway. FMLA allows for up to 12 weeks of time off (not necessarily consecutive) per year. The year is defined by your company. It could be calendar year, it could be a year from when it starts, it could be fiscal year, tit could be something else defined by the company. Most do 1 year from when FMLA starts. But if you have an organization that has it set differently, if you get lucky you can play it to your favor. FMLA allows for you to return to your job or a job of equal status. They can't fire you or reprimand you because of missing work. They can eliminate your position if they can prove they were going to anyway.
Cherie (36), DH (37), TTC 5 yrs. 1st IUI 11/09, 2nd IUI 1/10, 3rd IUI 2/10 all BFN. 1st IVF ER 6/6/10 ET 6/11/10 BFN. FET 9/28/10, beta 1 46, beta 2 108, us 10/25/10

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello All. My husband and I have been TTC baby # 2 since July 2010 so we are 17 months of trying. I will say it is much easier having my son now. He i...More

Helpful Tips

NEW HOPE TO GET PREGNANT: Mini-IVF less medicine, less cost and very effective
A new hope to fertility problems for all of us, less cost and very effective, learn more visit: www.nhfc.mx. Hope this help!! More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.