Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Interested in finding out where others are on their TTC journey? Then check out our Weekly List. Confused by all the abbreviations? We Have the Key!
Runny/itchy nose post ER - very strange.
RunJessicaRun posted:
Okay so this is really weird. I am hoping someone has some input. Maybe Sarah since you are a nurse.

During my ER yesterday they put an oxygen tube into my nostrils - just the short kind that only go about half way into the nostril. When they put it in it was blowing really hard, especially in my left nostril. I was put under shortly after.

Ever since i got home yesterday I have been having sneezing fits and my nose is constantly running, especially my left nostril. When I bend over to look at anything snot literally drips out of my nose. If I breath in through my left nostril it feels 'itchy'. When I push on my left nostril it feels like there is something there or is irritated, but there is nothing there.

I have taken two allergy pills and they have done nothing. I had allergies for years when I was younger and this is nothing like I've ever experienced with allergies or a cold.

I am wondering if the oxygen tube irritated my left nostril, so much that I keep sneezing because my nose thinks something is there it needs to get out, and the running nose is trying to get something out.

I have used so much kleenex on my left nostril it is totally red - ugly!

Anyone ever had this happen? This is driving me nuts. I'm going through kleenex like candy.
Jessica (35) DH (38) TTC since 11/08; ALL CYCLES BFN.  
2009: 2 femara cycles, 3 IUIs w/ follistim
2010  IVF1 Mar10, IVF2 May10 - Diagnosed DOR; new RE IVF3 Oct10

KOOPERSMOM responded:
Oh Jessica, sorry you're having issues. I can tell you that people complain of their nose itching a lot when they have oxygen tubing in place. Also, do you know what kind of meds they gave you? Fentanyl can make peoples noses itch, but it is very short acting, so I don't know if it would still be bothering you.

Ellie is a PA...maybe she'll chime in!
Sarah(35), DH(35), IVF/ICSI 1 DS-Kooper(2 years), IVF/ICSI 2 BFP with M/C at 9.5 weeks.

KOOPERSMOM replied to KOOPERSMOM's response:
Actually, any pain meds can make your nose itch! Is it getting any better? Take some Benadryl.
Sarah(35), DH(35), IVF/ICSI 1 DS-Kooper(2 years), IVF/ICSI 2 BFP with M/C at 9.5 weeks.

RunJessicaRun replied to KOOPERSMOM's response:
Ok it finally seems to have stopped. Over lunch I went and picked up some benadryl and a nasal spray. As soon as I took the nasal spray the runny nose stopped.

I called my RE and they really couldn't help me. The surgery center where I had the ER called me for their standard day after check up and I told them what was going on. They said people can get their nose irritated by the oxygen tubes and benadryl might help.

Thanks for checking on me. I'm glad the faucet on my nose has turned off!
Jessica (35) DH (38) TTC since 11/08; ALL CYCLES BFN. 2009: 2 femara cycles, 3 IUIs w/ follistim 2010 IVF1 Mar10, IVF2 May10 - Diagnosed DOR; new RE IVF3 Oct10

leji1 replied to RunJessicaRun's response:
I just got on the boards for the first time today. Was it a nasal cannula they used? The tube with two short stubs that stick into the nose half way? I think that they probably jammed it up farther than it was supposed to go and that caused your nasal passageway to get irritated. But benadryl and the nasal spray the right things to do!

Glad you're better! Sorry to give my two cents so late.
Ellie 31,DH 32 low morph,TTC 2.5yrs,9/09-12/09 3 Clomid/IUI BFN, 4/10 1st IVF/ICSI Chemical preg, 7/10 FET BFN

RunJessicaRun replied to leji1's response:
Ellie, thanks for replying. Yes it was a nasal cannula. I remember when they put it in it was blowing really hard, especially in my left nostril which is the one really irritated. I asked the guy to turn it down, or angle it differently. I also remember it smelled funny too. I've never had one of those before and I surely didn't like it at the time, now I really don't like it!

Thanks for your help. That nasal spray really seemed to help. It was a nasal decongestant but it advertised being 'extra moisturizing' and 'soothes and helps rehydrate dry noses', which was just what I needed.
Jessica (35) DH (38) TTC since 11/08; ALL CYCLES BFN. 2009: 2 femara cycles, 3 IUIs w/ follistim 2010 IVF1 Mar10, IVF2 May10 - Diagnosed DOR; new RE IVF3 Oct10

Junebug6153 replied to RunJessicaRun's response:
I just had this happen yesterday during an outpatient procedure. Just my left nostril and it started immediately when the tube was placed into my nostrils. Just the left one. I was awake for 20 minutes before the procedure so I must have taken it out of my nose at least 6 times! My nose was itching like crazy! But it never seemed like it was caused by an irritation because the reaction was immediate! When I was driven home it continued, when I got home it continued ... same thing, bend over and nose runs. I have been blowing my nose constantly, I have tried saline mist, used my neti pot and nothing has helped yet! How long did yours last? To me it feels like it does when I find one of my dogs hair in my nostril, but I can't find anything in there, although it feels like there is something there! I just want it to stop!

artbarnlady responded:
I was so glad to find that this has happened to others! I had an outpatient procedure and had exactly the same experience with my left nostril -- lots of sneezing and nose-running and a strong sensation that there is actually a raw place inside my nose up by the bone. Feels like my sinuses are also very aggravated. I tried to adjust the cannula before I drifted off to sleep. Actually can't believe how miserable this is with every breath through my nose! I am sending my husband to buy the nasal spray. I have Benedryl and will start taking that. Preferences?1234567890-=BackspaceTabqwertyuiop[>Returncapslockasdfghjkl;'\shift`zxcvbnm,./shiftEnglishDeutschEspa?olFran?aisItalianoPortugu?s 420 443 441 441 43A 438 439alt altPreferences

consuella responded:
Appreciation to chief oduwa legba for the great help for making me pregnant today after 4years of barrenness and all the insult from my husbands family for not able to conceive and have a child for my lovely husband,i thought all hope was lost until i saw how a woman testify from Canada how chief oduwa legba help her get pregnant naturally with the contact email and i contact him for the same help.after chief oduwa legba help i got pregnant 31days later as he said that i will conceive after 31days exactly 31days i got pregnant and am here to testify and give him the glory for the great help and assistant he has rendered to my life,contact him via on facebook (Oduduwa Ajakaye)

consuella replied to Junebug6153's response:
Appreciation to chief oduwa legba for the great help for making me pregnant today after 4years of barrenness and all the insult from my husbands family for not able to conceive and have a child for my lovely husband,i thought all hope was lost until i saw how a woman testify from Canada how chief oduwa legba help her get pregnant naturally with the contact email and i contact him for the same help.after chief oduwa legba help i got pregnant 31days later as he said that i will conceive after 31days exactly 31days i got pregnant and am here to testify and give him the glory for the great help and assistant he has rendered to my life,contact him via on facebook (Oduduwa Ajakaye)

consuella replied to artbarnlady's response:

Spotlight: Member Stories

Me(36) Dh(43) TTC since 11/2006. Only pregnancy resulted in miscarriage in 7/2007. Dealing with PCOS(not insulin-resistant) and MFI. 1st IUI 1/2012=BF...More

Helpful Tips

Want to change font size?
It is easy to make the font bigger press and hold your control key and click on the + key until it's as big as you like, To make the ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 24 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.