Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Interested in finding out where others are on their TTC journey? Then check out our Weekly List. Confused by all the abbreviations? We Have the Key!
Sperm bank
An_191447 posted:
I am looking to choose a sperm bank. The two I am considering are Fairfax and California Cryobank. Any recommendations?

An_191448 responded:
I think Fairfax has a better reputation. Our RE use to work there and was talking about what a great facility it was, and why it was a great bank - but didn't really apply to us, so I don't remember all the specifics. I googled "cryobank comparisons" these two came out on top - but of course each bank has their side out-weighing the other. Kind of interesting to see what each bank feels is important. Hope this helps! http://www.cryobank.com/Why-Use-Us/Comparison-Chart/
http://www.fairfaxcryobank.com/SpermBankComparisons.shtml

Also thought of this: Why don't you call each one with a few questions and see who has better answers, or better customer service, or is just overall "better" to talk to?

magenda replied to An_191448's response:
Thanks for the info. I was given Fairfax and California Cryobank as sources by my fertility treatment center. I read few negative reviews on Fairfax but have not come across any on California yet. I guess I am more curious of the sperm donors available whether one center draws more quality donors than the other. It is such a all consuming process. Any input is appreciated!

chickeedoodle responded:
Hi!
So, long story short, we chose Fairfax Cryo over CA Cryo.

Long story:
When we started with RE#1 we were looking through Calif Cryo. We went to RE#2 for a second opinion, and decided to go with RE#2. He said that he would prefer we used Fairfax Cryo. So we used them. We used the special buying plan where we purchased 6 vials for a discount and discount shipping. At the time we didn't realize that you could buy as many vials as you wanted, and have hem stored at Fairfax, and they would buy them back (at a lower cost than you paid), but you could basically stockpile a donor for future siblings. *wish we had done this!!*

Got pg at RE#2 clinic - moved, started looking for RE#3 to try for a sibling. Still had donor sperm left from orig purchase - that ruled out one clinic for us, because they would only use donor sperm from a list of cryo centers, Fairfax not on it. Found RE#3, they were fine with Fairfax. Moved to RE#4 - needed a fresh perspective on our infertility. They were very pleased we used Fairfax - that was they were highly respected and had an excellent screening process for donors. Ran out of vials, had gto order more - and our donor had been taken off the list because enough pgs had been achieved. They do have another cryo clinic attached to them - Cryogenic lab - in case you need more options.

Good luck!

magenda replied to chickeedoodle's response:
What advantages did you find that Farifax have over CA cryobank? I understand Fairfax offer adult pics on some donors. However, it seems to be a bit labor intensive and time consuming to obtain that info. It's an overwhelming process to choose a donor. Any suggestions as to simplify the process but still be selective?

chickeedoodle replied to magenda's response:
We didn't get very far with CA Cryo before we switched to Fairfax. I don't even remember the process of CA cryo - but with Fairfax you can get everything instantly on the internet. Just add it to your cart, pay and you download. You can get stuff mailed to you, but I saw no reason since I could print out what I had purchased from the site, and save pic to my computer.

It has a really good searching tool, so you can narrow it down. That was very helpful. We searched by height, hair color, weight, ancestry, blood type, etc. Most donors you can hear a file over internet of an interview question, you can read an something they wrote to answer a question, and then the staff have listed their "impressions' of the donor. I don't think any donors we looked at had adult pics, but there were baby pics.

You can do basic, advanced, or lifestyle seach.
http://donorsearch.fairfaxcryobank.com/

Good luck!

Spotlight: Member Stories

i am 29 DH is 27 we have been ttc for 2 years. I have had thyroid problems just before ttc, had to do radioactive treatment and wait for 6 months befo...More

Helpful Tips

TTC Abbreviations
2WW: Two-week wait (until you can take a pregnancy test) AF: Aunt Flo(w), your menstrual period AH: Assisted Hatching (Assisting ... More
Was this Helpful?
55 of 56 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.