Skip to content

Announcements

Interested in finding out where others are on their TTC journey? Then check out our Weekly List. Confused by all the abbreviations? We Have the Key!
New and need some advice
kzim517 posted:
Hi ~
My husband and I have been trying for our second child since July. We were ridiculously lucky to have our son as a result of clomid, only had to go as far as 50mg - but I have a sense that was some sort of a fluke. So after three unsuccessful cycles of clomid, we are moving forward... but I'm not sure how this is all supposed to go. My OB is very laid back, and is convinced that simply moving forward with 100mg will get us there. He doesn't recommend an HSG or SA because of our previous success getting pregnant, although he is not against testing if that's what we want to do. He also has done no monitoring (BW or otherwise) and doesn't seem to intend on doing so at this time.
So i'm looking for input... do you think we should do the HSG and SA? Should I ask him to check any bloodwork? I'm really just afraid we're missing something here, and I'm going to go on hoping without knowing what's truly possible.

Thanks for reading.

Kari

chickeedoodle responded:
I would ask for a referral to a Reproductive Endocrinologist. They can run some tests to give you better information. I think you would find vising a RE very helpful.

Good luck!

beckyatmoms responded:
I would push for the testing. Any good doctor will tell you past fertility has nothing to do with current or future fertility. My husband and I both have a child from previous relationships and now we have been trying for over 2 years for one of our own. No point in wasting time when you can get answers now.

Good luck!
Becky (34) DH (30) TTC for over 2 years. MFIF DS(10) DD(4) IVF1 3/10 BFN IVF2 2/11

beachmommy5406 responded:
(lurking) I agree with both of the previous posters. Ask for a referral to a reproductive endocronoligist. Becky is right, past fertility has nothing to do with your current situation. DS was conceived a mere 3 months after DH and I deciding to stop birth control. We decided to try for another when he was 2. He'll be 5 when his sibling is born. I had to have u/s every 6 weeks to monitor growths on my ovary, have surgery to remove said ovary and adjoining tube, and 2 very aggressive IVF cycles before I got my bfp...5 years after my first. The conclusion from all of the doctors that I see (PC, GYN, RE) is that there is no way my endo wasn't an issue when I conceived DS because it was so bad now...that he was a miracle.

When you visit an RE, they'll probably run a few tests on you (SA, HSG, b/w) and then figure out a path for you. It may initially involve increasing your clomid dose...but at least you'll know tests have confirmed that that should be the next step.

Do you have infertility coverage with your insurance or will this be out of pocket for you?

Best of luck! Keep us posted on how you're doing.
Maura (31) DH (32) DS 5/06 w/o assistance. DX S4 endo, no left ovary/tube (4/10). 6/10 IVF 1/BFN. IVF 2~AH/IVMM 2 8 cell 3dt 9/29 Beta 1=108, Beta 2=162 beta 3=340, beta 4 1068 U/S 10/28 1 strong hb

no1phillygirl responded:
Hi Kari,

I agree with the others and suggest that you see an RE. You will get a full work up and will know if there is a problem. At least you will know one way or another. Keep us updated when you can.
Marla 41 DH 31 10/08 BFP m/c 11/08 6/09 RE (stage 2 endo) ivf1 9/09 tfr 3 BFP m/c 11/09 ivf2 2/10 tfr 5 BFP cvs 13wks trisomy(d

Spotlight: Member Stories

Marla (42) DH (32) Nov 08 - miscarried at 6 wks Sept/Oct 09 - IVF#1 BFP miscarried at 8 1/2 wks D&C Jan/Feb 10 - IVF#2 BFP Trisomy 21 D&C at ...More

Helpful Tips

TTC Abbreviations
2WW: Two-week wait (until you can take a pregnancy test) AF: Aunt Flo(w), your menstrual period AH: Assisted Hatching (Assisting ... More
Was this Helpful?
55 of 56 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.