Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Interested in finding out where others are on their TTC journey? Then check out our Weekly List. Confused by all the abbreviations? We Have the Key!
I need direction!
kittykatjenn posted:
Hi ladies. I lurk here and post sometimes. I need some sort of direction though and I am hoping you can help.

I am stopping my 1500mg og Metformin today. I was on 1000mg for a few months and that did nothing. Then my doc jumped me to 2000mg and I was sick as a dog. So he dropped me to 1500mg. I am still sick...not as sick, but sick enough. So he is taking me off of it.

My problem here is that I can't get an answer out of him to save my life. I just want to know what the plan is. He said wait for the Met to get out of my system and call his nurse. Ok. So, then what? He said we might try more medication or ovarian drilling. He didn't tell me what kind of meds or what he thinks is best or anything. I just need to know something! What other meds are there at this stage? I am Clomid resistant and the Met didn't work. I have pcos, my tubes aren't blocked. I have recently lost 15lbs. I jsut need to know something. Anything! What other meds are there? What are the pros and cons about ovarian drilling? What are all of my options? He won't give me any answers!

frankfortkate responded:
I know nothing about Met or ovarian drilling, so I can't help there. What I can help with is the doctor. Only you can be your best advocate. If you have questions that he won't answer, then it's time to call another RE. There are plenty out there. I switched mine for the same reason. It's a longer drive and harder to schedule, but the nurse spent 20 minutes on the phone with me this morning just to turn around and talk to 3 doctors about my case, one of which called me and talked to me for 30 minutes this afternoon. If he is unwilling to work with you, take your business elsewhere.
Kate(31), DH (31), 2 furbabies (Buster and TC), TTC 2 1/2 years, endo,IVF1 7/10 BFN, IVF2 11/10 BFN. IVF3 cx. IVF4 BFN...again...

jlm76 responded:
I agree with Kate. I can't give you any practical advice either (though maybe some others on the board can) but I would seriously consider another doctor if you aren't getting your questions answered.

What about just calling the nurse now, and talking it through with her? My RE is pretty good about making sure my questions are answered, but sometimes the nurses are the best source of information and they are very good at cornering busy doctors for answers if they don't have them.

Good luck!
Jen (39), DH (36), plus one spoiled black lab (8). MC 6/10; IUI 1/11 - BFN; IVF converted to IUI 3/11-BFN; IUI 3 - 5/11.

brookelovettc responded:
Yes I think calling and asking the nurse would be a good option. I have the same kind of issue with my doctor... getting info from him is like pulling teeth. Everything I knew going through my ivf was from the internet, not from my dr! It shouldn't be that way. Keep pressing, and insisting on getting answers!
Me(29) DH(29) TTC since 2008. Started seeing RE May 2010 and IF testing. DH=mild MFIF. Me= DOR, endometriomas both ovaries. 3C w/Clomid=BFN. IVF/ICSI Feb 2011, BFP=chemical.

kittykatjenn responded:
Thank you all for the replies.

One of my problems is that I am not seeing an RE. My doc is an obgyn with a special interest in infertility. The reason I am not seeing an RE is because despite our large medical community here, there are none in the area. The closest one is at least 100 miles from me.

I called his nurse and had a bit of a meltdown. She said he doesn't really give her details about the infertility patients. She also said that it is basically a guessing game and there is no way to know what comes next until he knows if the current treatment is working. My mind says you can draw up plans for different scenarios so that at least there is something to look at.

FrenchBulldogMom responded:
My doctor (RE) put us on this plan:

HSG, blood tests, Hysteroscapy (which led to polyp removal /D&C surgery), Induced ovulation with Femara and Ovidrel injection, leading to IUI cycles.

If the IUIs don't work after a few months, we're going to discuss IVF.

We used Femara instead of Clomid because there are fewer side effects, but it is expensive. ($600)

kittykatjenn replied to FrenchBulldogMom's response:
Wow. That is expensive. His nurse called me back a bit ago. She said she thinks he is leaning towards the drilling. He told her if I wanted he would refer me to a doc (2 hours away) that does IVF. I don't want to have to do IVF, but I also don't want to call one month and hear," we are done with you! IVF!". She said we still have options. So I said fine, just give me an idea of something instead of leaving me out in the cold.

So, he said he wants to wait another couple months (aaaaahhhhh!!!) and then we would try the drilling. He wants the Metformin out of my system and to start with a clean slate. I hate waiting so much. I mean, I have been with him for 2 years and trying for 7. I'm done waiting. But I will. And she said she would try to have some sort of info for me instead of just wait a few months and call. So we will see. Thanks so much for all the info!

mamacrabb replied to kittykatjenn's response:
Personally, I wouldn't let a regular obgyn with a special interest in fertility touch my ovaries, with medication or a drill. I want someone who was specially trained, is board certified, and has the statistics to back it up. I'm driving a hundred and fifty miles round trip to my RE. I've made the trip twice already this week and will be going again tomorrow. With gas at over $4 a gallon, it sucks but it is totally worth it. Some REs do phone consults so that may be another option to at least get another opinion without the travel. I wish you luck!
Alicia (27) DH (27) Endometriosis and tubal factor -------- DD 5/2003 DS, M/C 2/2006 DD 11/2006 -------- IVF 1 5/2011 (shared egg donor program) http://consumedbyendo.blogspot.com/

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi there, I'm Amanda. I am 24 and DH is 32, we have been ttc since we got married in October of 2009. My older sister had been diagnosed with PCOS...More

Helpful Tips

Want to change font size?
It is easy to make the font bigger press and hold your control key and click on the + key until it's as big as you like, To make the ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 24 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.