Skip to content

Announcements

Interested in finding out where others are on their TTC journey? Then check out our Weekly List. Confused by all the abbreviations? We Have the Key!
Assisted Hatching?...
mosleyd36 posted:
Just wanted to hear any input or thoughts about this. I just got an email from RE saying he was going through my chart and wanted to do AH. Maybe because of our failed cycle? I know the pros to this procedure but what are the cons? What are the risks? Has anyone done this before?

I trust him completely so if that is what he thinks we should do I will probably do it but I guess I don't know what the risk factors are or why everyone doesn't do it. I have my baseline u/s on Wednesday so I will get more info about it then. Just wondering if there was any thoughts. I start stims on Friday!
Danielle (30) DH (32)...TTC since July '08. Severe MFIF.  IVF/ICSI 1 9/10...BFN. IVF/ICSI 2...7/11. New RE consult 6/9/11.

Susan1777 responded:
Hi Danielle, the only con that I remember hearing (if you think of this as a con) is that when they do AH, it can sometimes cause the egg to split....ie: twins. I think there was a waver we had to sign off on saying that we understood the risk of multiples.

I say do it :).
Was on ITSG since May of 2004....due to PCOS, tubal, and male factor issues, 5 years of TTC, numerous surgeries, IUI's, and 3 IVF's later, our little girl, Shelby Faith, was born on 5/29/09.

beachmommy5406 responded:
(lurking)
Danielle, just as Susan said, I think the only risk associated with AH (that I remember) is that it puts you at an increased risk for multiples. Each egg that undergoes AH has the chance of splitting into identical twins so we had a very small risk of having 2 sets of identical twins because we transferred 2 embies and had AH done with both. AH got us pg and our singleton is now 6 1/2 weeks old.

Best of luck!!!!
Me (31) DH (32) DS, baby 2 due in June.

codysu responded:
Hi Danielle, we did AH for our IVF and got pg with 1 (we transferred 3). Hopefully your RE can give you more info tomorrow. I didn't know about the potential of the embryo splitting...maybe in hindsight it was good not to know :)
Cody (38 ) DH (45), IVF w ICSI AH 11/10, M/C 12/10, 3 IUI's Clomid 2/11-4/11-all BFN, IUI 4 with Femara 8/11

FrenchBulldogMom replied to Susan1777's response:
Does it cost a lot more?

codysu replied to FrenchBulldogMom's response:
It did not cost me any extra.
Cody (38 ) DH (45), IVF w ICSI AH 11/10, M/C 12/10, 3 IUI's Clomid 2/11-4/11-all BFN, IUI 4 with Femara 8/11

frankfortkate replied to FrenchBulldogMom's response:
We did it and it did cost some extra. I want to say around $1,000, but I can't remember. Definitely something to ask RE if he brings it up.
Kate(31), DH (31), 2 furbabies (Buster and TC), TTC 2 1/2 years, endo,IVF1 7/10 BFN, IVF2 11/10 BFN. IVF3 cx. IVF4 BFN...again...IVF5 BFN. Time to move on - adoption it is.

AprilCB responded:
both my fresh cycles had AH. I'm a little ticked about it actually, because RE1 just did it without any real discussion with us, even though there was no real reason to do it. They gave us all this paperwork and said sign it, and that paperwork included a form saying we ok'd them to do AH. But we were under the impression they would only do AH if it was determined necessary. It explains the high fert rate we got (100%). We thought since RE1 did AH, we needed it but we found out from RE2 that wasn't the case. RE2 told us that RE1 just did it because they could, that there was nothing in the file that remotely suggested that we needed AH. RE2 suggested us to do a split cycle. Half with AH and half without. His reasoning was because I wanted to be as aggressive as possible because we weren't going to do another fresh cycle and because RE1 did AH with no real explanation as to why, we didn't know if my eggs could fert on their own. So RE2 gave us the option 1) no AH and hope for the best 2) all AH and we don't have to worry about it, but then we don't know if my eggs can fert on their own or 3) do half and half, then we'd be assured we had some that fertilized and we could find out if my eggs can fert on their own. We decided we weren't willing to temp fate, that we wanted to be as aggressive as possible, and that while it would be nice to know if my eggs can fert on their own there isn't any real reason for us to find this out, so we did 100% AH with the 2nd fresh cycle too. I'm currently 7mos PG with a one healthy little boy.

I see you've done IVF before, how have your fert rates been? If your fert rates have been low, you might want to consider doing AH. But if you're fert rates have been reasonable, then why do you need AH? If I were you, I'd ask him why he's recommending AH for you. It does add to the cost, but in comparison to the cost of everything else, it's not much maybe $1,000 - $1,200. Good luck
Don't give up hope, it can work! Cherie TTC 5 years, 3IUIs, 2 fresh IVFs,1 FET, EDD 11/1/11.

mosleyd36 responded:
I found out that he wants to do AH because we had a failed cycle. I'm down with it! It couldn't hurt. The embryologist came in explained everything and we feel good about it. It only costs $500 more so that's not bad either. Our RE has 5 criteria for AH and one of them is previous failed cycle.

I'm getting really excited! I'm definitely feeling the ovaries! I was freaking out a little because I am on Bravelle and Menopur this time and had a little trouble drawing up the liquid with these "q-caps" they gave me. I lost a lot of liquid doing it so now I just draw up with the needle...much better!

ER is a week from tomorrow!! Yay!
Danielle (30) DH (32)...TTC since July '08. Severe MFIF. IVF/ICSI 1 9/10...BFN. IVF/ICSI 2...7/11. New RE consult 6/9/11.

jlhill88 replied to mosleyd36's response:
Good Luck Danielle! I was also on Bravelle & Menopur and there always seemed to be liquid loss; however, I had 1cc of liquid for 4 vials of meds so I knew there was going to be some lost.

AH sounds like a plan! Best of luck on your ER-hope they get lots of eggs!

Jennifer
Jennifer(23) DH(25), TTC over 2 years for our first child-MFIF. IVF/ICSI1-Chemical Pregnancy/1 Frostie. IVF/ICSI2-Transfered 2 day 5 blasts. BETA 8/5= 194.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Marla (42) DH (32) Nov 08 - miscarried at 6 wks Sept/Oct 09 - IVF#1 BFP miscarried at 8 1/2 wks D&C Jan/Feb 10 - IVF#2 BFP Trisomy 21 D&C at ...More

Helpful Tips

Want to change font size?
It is easy to make the font bigger press and hold your control key and click on the + key until it's as big as you like, To make the ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 24 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.