Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Interested in finding out where others are on their TTC journey? Then check out our Weekly List. Confused by all the abbreviations? We Have the Key!
HSG/IUI questions
stephstew123 posted:
Hi! I had my first appointment today with the RE. It went well. He suggested that we try an IUI since my DH has slightly low motility. He asked if I ever had an HSG performed, which I haven't. He said that I don't have to have one done before the IUI unless I wanted to. I was just wondering if I should have the HSG before the IUI? The HSG costs $1200.00! Thoughts? Thank you!

FrenchBulldogMom responded:
I'd definitely do the HSG first. You need to know if your tubes are clear before you do an IUI, or you might be wasting your time and money if the egg can't make it down. Also, an HSG can sometimes unblock a tube and increase fertility. It can be extremely painful, though. It was horrible for me, but we needed to see the results in order to create a treatment plan. Good luck!
Me:35, DH:35, TTC 2 1/2 years, IVF 1: Twins due in June!!!

stephstew123 replied to FrenchBulldogMom's response:
I heard it was very painful! I just wish it wasn't sooo expensive. Cause if I'm not blocked at all, I'll be mad that we spent that money. Lots to think about!

deliela999 replied to stephstew123's response:
The HSG did hurt a lot, but was only bad for 10 or 15 minutes, then just mild cramping the rest of the day. I went home and read, then took a nap and I was fine. I still don't understand why they don't give you something for the pain, especially since they told me I had to have someone drive me in case I had a reaction to the dye. Check with your insurance. Mine actually covered the HSG. Mine will cover testing to diagnose IF, but no treatment. It only ended up being about $100.

bdeem23 replied to deliela999's response:
had the HSG done last year and for me it was not painful at all, i didnt have any cramping but i know that it can cause cramps. my insurance also covered the test i didnt have to pay a dime, thank goodness. i would have it done so you know your tubes are clear. good luck

nicram8683 responded:
Lurking......I also heard that it was supposed to be very painful. But when I had mine done, it really wasnt. During the procedure, it was uncomfortable, like menstrual cramping. But not "painful". Then, later on at home, I had slight cramping. But I laid down with a hot pad and it was ok. I really think it depends on your body, your threshold for pain, and if there is a blockage. But I definitely recommend that you have it done. The results could help you.

booklvr04 replied to nicram8683's response:
lurking...

I actually had two HSG's. One done at a radiology place and one at the RE. The first one was slightly painful and I had spotting and cramping that day. The test showed the dye was slow to travel through one of my tubes and ended up not spilling out at the end. I would have had no idea since all of my other tests came back normal. Since my insurance covered the test, the RE asked if he could do a repeat HSG at his office to see if he could clear the tube, which he did. I still ended up doing four IUI's and we were officially diagnosed with Unexplained IF, but I'm glad I did that particular test, like the others said, it can help increase fertility. Good luck!

stephstew123 replied to booklvr04's response:
Thanks for all of the advice. I am still unsure of what I want to do. I'm going to call my insurance company and double check aif they cover the HSG or not. It shouldn't be so expensive!

beckyatmoms replied to stephstew123's response:
When I had my HSG I was afraid it was going to really hurt but to my surprise it didn't hurt at all. Felt similar to a pap. I guess I was lucky because I know it can be very painful for some people.

I also agree you should double check with your insurance about coverage because a lot of them cover testing to diagnose infertility, just not actual treatment.

Either way, good luck!
Becky (35) DH (31) TTC for over 3 years. MFIF DS(12) DD(5)
IVF1 (Long Lupron) 3/10 BFN
IVF2 (Long Lupron) 2/11 BFN
IVF3 (Antagonist) BFP!!!
TWINS!!! EDD 8/23/12

Tiff1124 responded:
An HSG is actually very important prior to an IUI. The procedure will help you to know if your tubes are obstructed. If they are, you could waste tons of money and time on IUIs, meds, and other treatments that have no chance of working. The chances are quite good that there are no blockages, but in the case that there are, it would lead to certain heartache and financial upsets.

I had 2 HSGs and very different experiences each time. My first was done ny my OBGYN and it was quite painful. The second was done by my RE and it was just "uncomfortable". However, I did take some ibuprofen afterward due to the pain that came afterward. It did the trick! My best advice is to take the ibuprofen before the procedure

Does you insurance cover any part of the HSG? Even after my infertility diagnosis my insurance footed most of the bill. Just a thought...

Good luck to you!
4 Clomid cycles- 1 Angel Baby
6 Failed IUIs 1/11-8/11- All BFN
IVF 1- 11/11 Only 1 embryo :-( BFN
IVF 2- 12/12 Severe OHSS- Transfer cancelled
FET 1- 2/12 BFN
Unexplained Secondary Infertility

stephstew123 replied to Tiff1124's response:
Thank you for all of the advice. I think my next step is to call the insurance company and see if they cover any of the HSG. My DH and I were discussing what to do and we are still unsure. We still have some time to decide since my next cycle won't start for another couple of weeks. If only it weren't so expensive!

Spotlight: Member Stories

DH and I have been together since February 2006. We officially tied the knot on October 3, 2010. We have been TTC our first child since the spring of ...More

Helpful Tips

NEW HOPE TO GET PREGNANT: Mini-IVF less medicine, less cost and very effective
A new hope to fertility problems for all of us, less cost and very effective, learn more visit: www.nhfc.mx. Hope this help!! More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.