Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Interested in finding out where others are on their TTC journey? Then check out our Weekly List. Confused by all the abbreviations? We Have the Key!
Bed Rest after Procedures?
Tiff1124 posted:
So... we're trying to do a few things differently for this FET, and one of the things we're thinking about is a few days of bedrest. I guess we're thinking that if I'm laying on the couch watching movies I don't have a lot of room to get stressed out. Our RE doesn't recommend bed rest, but I've heard that some do. Any thoughts or experiences? I'm nervous because I have quickly drained my pool of sick and personal time at work, but if it could help I'd love to try! I'm thinking of relaxing just the day of the transfer and the day after. We're (hopefully) transferring 2 thawed blasts fertilized with ICSI, and assisted hatching will be performed before the transfer.

Thoughts? TIA
4 Clomid cycles- 1 Angel Baby
6 Failed IUIs 1/11-8/11
IVF 1- 11/11 Only 1 embryo :-( BFN
IVF 2- 12/11 Severe OHSS- Transfer cancelled
FET 1- 2/12 BFN
FET 2- will be 3/12
Unexplained Secondary IF

Fleischman responded:
For my First Transfer i was working nights, so i left work in the morning, went to the RE had TWO transferred on DAY 3 which i heard they don't do anymore. I went home and went to sleep. I believe 8 hours later i went to work but that just resulted in going in at 10pm sitting a desk for 8 hours and napping.....LOL I THINK....Otherwise i went home and went to sleep. And both stuck that time. I did that the last two times and they did not work. I have heard if they offer you the acupuncture to do that. Its worth it and effective with relaxing...

GOOD LUCK, i am excited for you!

Me (29) DH (42) Married 2006
IVF 1 - 10/07- BFP TWINS DS/DD, 32 weeks delivered. DD angel 18 days later.
FT1 - 8/10- BFN
IVF 2- 11/10- BFN
IVF 3- 3/12 FINGERS CROSSED w/PDG DHEA and CoQ10

KL0124 responded:
Ah, the great debate. PTO vs. taking care of things. If your RE doesn't care, but you feel like it will help you, go for it. My RE says take the day of transfer and maybe the next day off plus puts restrictions on activities - no running, lifting heavy stuff, no sex, etc. Baby dust to you.
Kris (30) DH (32) DD (4) 7 angels
10 total rounds of clomid, 2 of femara, and too many days of progesterone to count
IUI 1 m/c
IUI 2

Tiff1124 replied to Fleischman's response:
I wish they offered acupucture! The only thing I can find close to home is acupressure. I guess it's similar, so I may give it a try. The acupucture clinics here are only in the big cities, so I would have to travel ablut an hour each way. I already travel an hour each way to the RE a few times a week, so I'm afraid all of the appointments and drives would just become too much. You do have me considering the acupressure though... Maybe I'll set up a consult so that I can at least get the treatments in the 2WW. Thanks!
6 Failed IUIs 1/11-8/11
FET 1- 2/12 BFN
FET 2- will be 3/12
Unexplained Secondary IF

beckyatmoms responded:
My RE said strict bed rest the day of transfer then I could go back to work with the normal restrictions -no jogging, heavy lifting, ect. For my first transfer I went back to work the next day - BFN. The second transfer my DH convinced me to take an extra day off - BFN. The third transfer I went back to work the next day - BFP with Twins.

The first two transfers we transferred 2 the third we transferred 3. We also changed the whole protocol for the third and it made a world of difference in our embryo quality. As a matter of fact initially all three took but 1 stopped developing -which honestly I am grateful for.

I guess the bottom line is do whatever will make you feel confident that you have done all you can do. That's all that matters!

Good luck!
Becky (35) DH (31) TTC for over 3 years. MFIF DS(12) DD(5)
IVF1 (Long Lupron) 3/10 BFN
IVF2 (Long Lupron) 2/11 BFN
IVF3 (Antagonist) BFP!!!
TWINS!!! EDD 8/23/12

livelaughmoe responded:
Question: why do they suggest bed rest after IVF, but not IUI?
Me 28 DH 29 TTC for 3 years. HSG, SHG good, SA good, 4 rounds on Clomid, all = BFN. 1st IUI BFN, 2nd IUI BFN, LAP done- cyst removed, 3rd IUI BFP (chem preg beta 26,5) 4th IUI 3/19/12.

beckyatmoms replied to livelaughmoe's response:
I think all RE's have different protocol for what happens after a transfer/iui. I have done a bunch of research and honestly it doesn't seem like bed rest at all really increases or decreases your chances after either procedure. It seems a lot of RE give their patients bed rest more for the patients peace of mind more than anything.
IVF3 (Antagonist) BFP!!!
TWINS!!! EDD 8/23/12

Tiff1124 replied to beckyatmoms's response:
True, and it can also reduce stress levels for those with high stress jobs or lives that are over-packed. The theory is that the down time could potentially help with implantation because the brain is getting "relaxed" signals, instead of the ones that are alarming and could potentially deter implatation. My RE doesn't suggest bed rest at all, but I'm a teacher and it's state test prep time, so if I would have gone to work my blood pressure would have been through the roof- LOL. We thought it was best just to do anything we could think of that might help- believe me- this is probably one of the most subtle things I did to help things along this cycle- LOL! I've also eaten about 5 pineapples, visited a shrine and had a house smudging- haha! Couldn't hurt...
6 Failed IUIs 1/11-8/11
FET 1- 2/12 BFN
FET 2- will be 3/12
Unexplained Secondary IF

beckyatmoms replied to Tiff1124's response:
Your too funny! You are right though. I am a police officer, which is stressful, but I found going back to work helped keep my mind off of everything else. It kept me from stressing over getting pregnant.

I think everyone should do whatever they think will put their mind at ease...
IVF3 (Antagonist) BFP!!!
TWINS!!! EDD 8/23/12

Mhaiya76 responded:
Me too, I will be having my transfer on Friday and I have work the night before then I go straight o my RE and then work again the night for 12 hours. I'm a nurse and so that means physical work, let's of walking. My RE doesn't recommend bedrest too but I feel I need to take the day off the day of transfer. But the thing is my work is very strict when it comes o sick What do u guys think?

beckyatmoms replied to Mhaiya76's response:
I would def take off the night of the transfer.
IVF3 (Antagonist) BFP!!!
TWINS!!! EDD 8/23/12

Mhaiya76 replied to beckyatmoms's response:
Hi Becky!

Thanks for the reply... Yes I think I will take it easy on the day of transfer. I'm thinking of going to Accupuncture right after the transfer and give myself permission to be lazy the rest o the day .

Btw congratulations on ur BPN

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 29 and DH is 42. We did our 1st IVF cycle in october of 2007. extremely low sperm was our ONLY issue at the time. Two Embies transfered Two stuck...More

Helpful Tips

TTC Abbreviations
2WW: Two-week wait (until you can take a pregnancy test) AF: Aunt Flo(w), your menstrual period AH: Assisted Hatching (Assisting ... More
Was this Helpful?
55 of 56 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.