Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Interested in finding out where others are on their TTC journey? Then check out our Weekly List. Confused by all the abbreviations? We Have the Key!
Folistim Side effects....
Fleischman posted:
Hello All, so on Friday i have started 450 units of Folistim and 15 units of low dose hcg. Anyone have symptoms from these> anyone have experience with high doses of the folistim. I feel crampy and almost like gas bubbles through out my stomach when im trying to sleep. Lower pain pain light but sometimes like a sharp jolt. Maybe i am just more intune with body this time i just feel a lot in my stomach this time. Oh and i have gained wight since i have been on the COQ10 and DHEA...anyone have this going on?

Also anyone have any success storied with high doses of folistim?
Me (29) DH (42) Married 2006
IVF 1 - 10/07- BFP TWINS DS/DD, 32 weeks delivered. DD angel 18 days later.
FT1 - 8/10- BFN
IVF 2- 11/10- BFN
IVF 3- 3/12 FINGERS CROSSED w/PDG DHEA and CoQ10

Tiff1124 responded:
My doses of Follistim weren't that high ( I think my highest dose was 350), but I did have similar symptoms. I got the sharp jolts and the crampy sensations. My symptoms were much worse the closer I got to retrieval. I got really bloated the day before the retrieval, to the point it was actually painful, and in the few days afterward the bloating and pain got severe. As it turns out I had a severe case of OHSS and was hospitalized for a few days. I gained 24 pounds in just 5 days! Scary! BUT- I did have 20 mature eggs (30 retrieved) that resulted in 5 blasts and 2 morulas that were frozen. So I still consider it to be a success, side effects or not. Most cases don't end up that way- don't worry! And there is even a medication that is given to lots of Follistim patients right after retrieval to try to avoid such issues. But- because I have poor eggs the doctors were super-aggressive with the meds, which is what ultimately resulted in the issues I had. The point I'm making is that if you feel like you're cramping and bloating excessively at retrieval time mention to the dr so that you can take the med I mentioned.
4 Clomid cycles- 1 Angel Baby
6 Failed IUIs 1/11-8/11
IVF 1- 11/11 Only 1 embryo :-( BFN
IVF 2- 12/11 Severe OHSS- Transfer cancelled
FET 1- 2/12 BFN
FET 2- will be 3/12
Unexplained Secondary IF

Fleischman replied to Tiff1124's response:
WOW 20 mature eggs and you only resulted with 5 blast? this is making me so nervous because i need mine to get to blast in order to do the PDG. If they don't i think this cycle will be a bust....I am freaking out....
Me (29) DH (42) Married 2006
IVF 1 - 10/07- BFP TWINS DS/DD, 32 weeks delivered. DD angel 18 days later.
FT1 - 8/10- BFN
IVF 2- 11/10- BFN
IVF 3- 3/12 FINGERS CROSSED w/PDG DHEA and CoQ10

Tiff1124 replied to Fleischman's response:
I'm sorry- try to think positively. I was told that this was a very successful turnout though- for 25% to make it to blast is apparently excellent. I wonder if that is just for us with the stubborn ovaries though.... ??

Remember- my first IVF resulted in just 1 embryo to transfer at day 3. Only 3 eggs were mature at retrieval- it was really tough! So 5 blasts and 2 morulas sounded like heaven!
4 Clomid cycles- 1 Angel Baby
6 Failed IUIs 1/11-8/11
IVF 1- 11/11 Only 1 embryo :-( BFN
IVF 2- 12/11 Severe OHSS- Transfer cancelled
FET 1- 2/12 BFN
FET 2- will be 3/12
Unexplained Secondary IF

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi, my name is Toni! I'm 30, DH is 36. We've been married for almost 3 years, have not used protection for 4 years but have been TTC for over ...More

Helpful Tips

TTC Abbreviations
2WW: Two-week wait (until you can take a pregnancy test) AF: Aunt Flo(w), your menstrual period AH: Assisted Hatching (Assisting ... More
Was this Helpful?
55 of 56 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.