Skip to content

Announcements

Interested in finding out where others are on their TTC journey? Then check out our Weekly List. Confused by all the abbreviations? We Have the Key!
Question about Injectable cycles
prayforamiracle posted:
I was hoping to get some information from all of you regarding injectables. I was told by RE, that we need to be more aggressive and he wants to move to injectables. Can you please tell me all I need to know about this, so I know exactly what I'm getting myself into. Anything you can share, will be great. Thank you.
ME(36) DH (43) TTC since 11/2006. Only pregnancy resulted in miscarriage in 7/2007. Dealing with PCOS(not insulin-resistant) and MFI.1st IUI 1/2012=BFN, 2nd IUI 2/2012=BFN

KL0124 responded:
I'm sorry that you are dealing with having to move forward to more aggressive treatment options. Injectables cover a wide range of things. Some of it depends on what you are doing. IUI with one trigger shot is different than an extended IVF protocol with multiple shots per day. There are shots to prevent early ovulation, shots to increase the number of eggs, shots to induce ovulation, and then shots to support a pg. For me all of my shots (triggers to stims to preventative) have all been sub Q in my tummy. Besides the pain of having shots and bloating, I have been fortunate to not have any side effects. Side effects vary and can be mild to severe depending on the meds chosen. Next I will start IM shots in the butt for my progesterone. Haven't done that one yet, so I dont know how I will respond. Shots tend to be expensive especially if insurance doesn't cover them (mine didn't). Hope this helps some. Asking your RE what specific ones he's thinking about for you, would probably help you get the more specific answers you are looking for. Good luck!
Kris (30) DH (32) DD (4) 7 angels
10 total rounds of clomid, 2 of femara, and too many days of progesterone to count, 3 IUIs, starting IVF April 2012

deliela999 responded:
There are definitely a lot of different things he could mean by injectables. I just thought I'd share what I did. After 4 failed rounds of clomid when both doctors agreed I ovulated I didn't get pregnant. Our HSG and SA came back fine so I was referred to an RE. The RE said clomid just wasn't the right drug for my body. He ordered femara (pills similar to clomid), gonal-f (follicle stimulating hormone injections) and a novarel HCG trigger shot. The gonal-f shots were pretty easy. It's like an insulin pen with a tiny needle given in my stomach. The side effects I had from it were a lot of pain and bloating. When I went for my follicle scan I had one follicle on each side the size of a normal ovary, which explained the pain. The trigger shot was powder that had to be mixed with sterile water and DH had to inject it in my hip muscle. I got really dizzy and almost passed out, but I really think it was the emotions of everything actually coming together. The RE was right and I got my BFP on the first round! I'm currently 6 weeks and excited for my first ultrasound next week. Good luck!

prayforamiracle responded:
Thanks ladies! The injectables will be I'm assuming to assist with ovulation, so we can try more IUIs. I tend to not ovulate or ovulate very late on my own. I have tried Clomid four times. The first time I didn't respond. Second time no response so they had me take another round of Clomid in the same cycle, but no BFP. Fourth time no BFP. The times I did ovulate on Clomid, I only produced one follicle and my lining was on the thin side. The doctor did mention that they would try to find me the best deals on the injectables, but I still wonder how much should I still expect per shot and how many shots does it take? I know my trigger shot with the IUI cycles was around $90.00 each shot. Also, are you monitor way more with the injectables? More ultrasounds???
ME(36) DH (43) TTC since 11/2006. Only pregnancy resulted in miscarriage in 7/2007. Dealing with PCOS(not insulin-resistant) and MFI.1st IUI 1/2012=BFN, 2nd IUI 2/2012=BFN

deliela999 replied to prayforamiracle's response:
What I did sounds like what your doctor is thinking. It was expensive, but worth it. Please ask away with questions. I remember how overwhelming it all seemed at first. My insurance covered the femara pills so they were about $12. My insurance didn't cover the other meds or monitoring. The gonal-f injections was the most expensive part. Freedom Fertility was the cheapest, but I called all on the list the doctor's office gave me and any others I could find. I'll tell you the local pharmacies didn't even know what these meds were and acted like I was nuts. I did 75 units of gonal-f per day for 6 days for a total of 475 units, which came as a pen for about $375. I think the trigger was $75. My office did an ultrasound as soon as AF started to check for cysts and at that appointment they showed me how to use the pen and gave me a calendar of when to do what. I went back after the femara and gonal-f shots were done for another ultrasound to check follicle size and an estradiol blood test. They called when the doctor had reviewed those results that afternoon and told me to go ahead with the trigger shot. I didn't do IUI, so from the trigger shot we proceeded with BDing every other day. My RE's office offered a 20% discount if I gave them a check for this cycle's monitoring at the first ultrasound. My total with the meds and doctor's office was $985. Good Luck!

KL0124 replied to prayforamiracle's response:
My only experience with Injectables other than a trigger shot is with IVF. They are way more expensive but I only needed one additional u/s (3 total). Because of my situation (2 stims, GnRH agonist, trigger shot, progesterone shots, steroids, antibiotics, and ASA) my meds were $5100 for the month. I did respond really well and didnt even open about $1800 of Gonal f, Menopur, and ganirelex, so once I get a BFP, I will be left with the question of what to do with all the unopened meds. Sorry this isn't more specific to your situation. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Kris (30) DH (32) DD (4) 7 angels
10 total rounds of clomid, 2 of femara, and too many days of progesterone to count, 3 IUIs, starting IVF April 2012

Spotlight: Member Stories

DH-34 Me34 Tubes Tied after DD birth in 2007 IVF #1 8/11-Cycle Cancelled due to Premature Ovulation on Lupron IVF #2 10/11- 17 eggs, 13 embryos, 3dt, ...More

Helpful Tips

NEW HOPE TO GET PREGNANT: Mini-IVF less medicine, less cost and very effective
A new hope to fertility problems for all of us, less cost and very effective, learn more visit: www.nhfc.mx. Hope this help!! More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.