Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Interested in finding out where others are on their TTC journey? Then check out our Weekly List. Confused by all the abbreviations? We Have the Key!
sooo confused. . . .
nycaligrl1 posted:
Hello everyone, so I'm new to these boards and I need some help cause I am soooo confused

After 9 failed IUI's (& a 4 yr break- from ttc, not eachother haha)
DH & I are finally moving on to IVF.
So we went to RE the other day to get the ball rolling. Had baseline BW done & was given script for Provera (since I've always been irregular).
Got the phone call on Friday that I was good to start provera for 10 days. & was told to call back on CD1 to make an appt for CD3.

What I'm confused about is, RE said nothing about BCPs, In the times in the past that I've been on Provera I usually start AF on day 9 or 10.

Just nervous that if that happens again, it doesn't seem like much time to get meds?? Aren't you supposed to start Lupron immediately (like cd 2 or cd3)?? Im so confused. I don't know if I'm just nervous about all this and making my brain crazy. DH & I have been TTC for 9 yrs and this is pretty much our only shot

Thanks everyone for your help.

me/31 DH/37 TTC for 9 years.
Ectopic with rupture & loss of Right tube 4/03
MC @ 4 weeks 10/05
9 failed IUI's
IVF#1 June or July '12

Tiff1124 responded:
It sounds to me like you might get the long Lupron protocol. In this protocol you start Lupron around the middle (or up to day 21) of the cycle prior to egg retrieval. The CD3 appointment is necessary to check bloodwork and to be sure that no cysts are present on the ovaries. In the long Lurpon protocol you will still get your period, but it could be slight. When you start, you will then begin stimulation drugs very early in the cycle. When you are on this protocol no BCPs are necessary- the Lupron does the job of quieting the ovaries for the following cycle. I hope this helps
Good Luck!
2 Angels
6 Failed IUIs 1/11-8/11
IVF 1- 11/11 Only 1 embryo- BFN
IVF 2- 12/11 Severe OHSS- Transfer cancelled
FET 1- 2/12 BFN
FET 2- 3/12 Chemical
FET 3- 6/12 3 Embryos
Unexplained Secondary IF

KL0124 responded:
Good luck with starting IVF. You may be doing the long Lupron or potentially using ganirelex. I started ganirelex towards the end of my cycle to even out everything so all the follicles would grow at the same rate. It worked wonderfully. It was fewer shots than the long Lupron, shorter timeframe from start to finish, but more aggressive. When do you go in for your med teaching appointment?
Kris (30) DH (32) DD (4) 7 angels
10 total rounds of clomid, 2 of femara, and too many days of progesterone to count, 3 IUIs, IVF1 pregnant

nycaligrl1 replied to KL0124's response:
I don't have a med teaching appt until the 14th. Thats what Im also confused about.

I think Im just so anxious about this all. Just ready to get it going

KL0124 replied to nycaligrl1's response:
They maybe waiting until after your period for med teaching and to start anything so they can regulate everything better. What meds will you be on? Good luck.
10 total rounds of clomid, 2 of femara, and too many days of progesterone to count, 3 IUIs, IVF1 pregnant

FrenchBulldogMom replied to KL0124's response:
  • Lurking from PAIF*

Yeah it sounds like they're doing the long Lupron. I did the one with bcps. It's nice that they can tailor a plan to each person to get the best chance for success. I know lots of people who used Gonal F in their stim cycle, but my doctor put me on Bravelle, Menopur, and Lupron.

I was really nervous about learning how to give myself medicine, but I did just fine. Keep us posted about your cycle and lots of baby dust to you!
    Me:35, DH:35, TTC 2 1/2 years, IVF 1: Twins due in June!!!
  •  
    nycaligrl1 replied to FrenchBulldogMom's response:
    Thanks everyone. I have no idea what meds I'll be on.
    The doctor didn't say, but when I did the rounds of IUI I was on Follistim & responded well, so im assuming he'll probably do the follistim again. As for anything else I have no idea.
    Took my last provera (10mg x 10 days) last night, so now the waiting for my period begins.
    I've given myself shots before, so I'm familiar with that, but what should I expect at the med teaching meeting?

What is the long lupron protocol like?

Congrats KL0124 & FrenchBulldogmom on your BFPs!!

KL0124 replied to nycaligrl1's response:
    It sounds like your RE is doing things differently than mine did. Med teaching only occurred once you had all of your meds, but as long as you get your baby nothing else matters. At med teaching they review each of your meds, give you a calendar for when you start and stop everything, answer your questions, etc.

i was not on a long Lupron, so mine was totally different. I started an estrogen patch for 5 days and 3 days of ganirelex (instead of Lupron) shots together. On CD 3 I did a baseline u/s and started 10 days of twice a day doxicycline and CD 4 started my Menopur and Gonal f shots twice a day. I had 9 days of stims, the. Triggered. The day after ER, I started baby aspirin daily and 4 days of steroids. 2 days after ER, I started my progesterone shots. We did a 5 day transfer. It was all worth it in the end. Baby dust to you and look forward to hearing about your BFP
    10 total rounds of clomid, 2 of femara, and too many days of progesterone to count, 3 IUIs, IVF1 Twins!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I've been a Moderator with WebMD for 7 years now, working in almost every part of the community here. I have worked with the TTC group off and...More

Helpful Tips

Want to change font size?
    It is easy to make the font bigger press and hold your control key and click on the + key until it's as big as you like, To make the ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    13 of 24 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.