Skip to content

Announcements

Interested in finding out where others are on their TTC journey? Then check out our Weekly List. Confused by all the abbreviations? We Have the Key!
IVF vs IUI
abbey96 posted:
Hi ladies, After what feels like an eternity of TTC, lots of medication, laparoscopy, Lupron, one round of IUI and disappointment, my husband and I are beginning our first round of IVF.

I wanted to ask for any feedback on what worked for you all, IVF or IUI? And how many rounds? My fingers are crossed we have good news soon, as neither my nor my husbands insurance covers fertility, so we are paying 100% out of pocket, and feel like we are going "all in" with our hopes and bets on IVF.

It's been awhile since I have posted, but its good to be back!!! Best wishes to everyone
Me 32 DH 34 TTC 1 3/4 years. 7 rounds of Clomid, 2 rounds of Femara, one laparoscopy for endo

livelaughmoe responded:
First of all, welcome.

I have done several rounds of IUI, however in December had a lap done and a cyst was found on my Fallopian tube. I've done 2 iuis since then, both were pregnancies, but both ended in m/c. So for us it makes sense to continue with IUI. The other reason, I live in MN and it's way cheaper to do IUI, less financial risk. We too do not have ins coverage for infertility. One suggestion I do have is enroll in some type of IVF program that allows a few try's and if it doest work it offers some type of refund. Best of luck. You will find a lot of IVF pros on this board.

Cassy
Me 29 DH 30 TTC for 3 years. HSG, SHG good, SA good, 4 rounds on Clomid, all = BFN. 1st IUI BFN, 2nd IUI BFN, LAP done- cyst removed, 3rd IUI BFP (CP) 4th IUI 3/19 BFN, 5th IUI 4/16 BFP, M/C @ 9wks

KL0124 responded:
Lurking

Welcome to the boards. The journey of TTC is an emotional roller coaster. DH and I have done a total of 3 IUIs spaced out with an early m/c and one cycle of IVF resulting in me now 26w pg with twins. We were on our own with fertility costs and for us, the IVF cycle was the easiest.

The IUIs felt like just a little help with vaguely increased chances of carrying a healthy baby to term. With the IVF cycle, we had a daily game plan with action to get a healthy baby. I even started counting day 1 of IVF as day 1 of being pg because we felt so at peace with our decision to move forward. I was actually off by a couple of days due to ER at CD 12 instead of 14. Even with one of the most aggressive protocols, I was a poor responder with 8 eggs retrieved, 5 eggs fertilized, and 3 eggs transfered (1 was early blastocist poor quality and was put in to increase the chance of 1 of the other eggs implanting). Even though I'm 30, my ovarian function was that of a 40 year old and we had less than a 1% chance of concieving and carrying to term on our own.

Hated the multiple shots a day with IVF, and don't like the multiple shots I have left to go this pg, but these babies are totally worth it. There are several ladies who have had great results and stories with IUI or IVF and the important thing is you feeling good about your decision and bringing home your baby. The support of this board was invaluable to me as I went through the process.

What protocol are you on? How are you feeling? How was your baseline u/s? Good luck!
Kris (30) DH (32) DD (4) 7 angels
10 total rounds of clomid, 2 of femara, and too many days of progesterone to count, 3 IUIs, IVF1 Twins!

livelaughmoe replied to KL0124's response:
Thanks for sharing your journey.
Me 29 DH 30 TTC for 3 years. HSG, SHG good, SA good, 4 rounds on Clomid, all = BFN. 1st IUI BFN, 2nd IUI BFN, LAP done- cyst removed, 3rd IUI BFP (CP) 4th IUI 3/19 BFN, 5th IUI 4/16 BFP, M/C @ 9wks

rosecam responded:
We did 4 fresh IVF cycles and 2 FETs to get our little boy. Now I am starting a FET cycle to try and conceive a second. We had undiagnosed infertility, and were around 30 years old, so going in we thought we had a really high chance of getting pregnant on the first IVF, but it didn't work out that way. We never tried IUIs because we felt like the chances of success were too low and at the time we had insurance coverage for IVF (we don't anymore).
Rose (33), DH (33), DS (1). To Conceive 1: IVF 12/09, FET 2/10, IVF 4/10, IVF w/ ICSI 5/10 - all neg. New RE IVF w/ ICSI, AH and PGS 8/10 - chemical. FET 11/10 - BFP led to DS! Now, TTC 2.

beckyatmoms responded:
We went straight to IVF since we have male factor infertility we knew IUI wasn't an option. It took 3 IVF cycles and a change in protocol before we were successful. Initially I was pregnant with 3 babies but 1 stopped developing. Now I have 2 beautiful baby girls!

What protocol do they have you on?
Becky (35) DH (31) TTC for over 3 years. MFIF DS(12) DD(5)
IVF1 (Long Lupron) 3/10 BFN
IVF2 (Long Lupron) 2/11 BFN
IVF3 (Antagonist) BFP!!!
TWINS!!! EDD 8/23/12

abbey96 replied to beckyatmoms's response:
Sorry for the delay in my response...

I was on the birth control pill the past 3 weeks. Friday I begin 10-12 days of injections of 1/2cc of Menopur and 125 of Follistim. My doctor is watching me closely as multiples run in my family and I have polycystic ovaries (but not PCOS), and overproduce follicles.

I'm onboard with multiples, but do not want to end up like OctoMom!

None of my close friends have fertility problems, so if any of you supportive ladies can offer any insight as to what to expect through the IVF process I'd appreciate it! Especially the egg retrieval....
Me 32 DH 34 TTC 1 3/4 years. 7 rounds of Clomid, 2 rounds of Femara, one laparoscopy for endo

abbey96 replied to KL0124's response:
Thanks for all of your feedback Kris. Today was my second day of injections - Follistim & Menopur. I had horrible reactions to the Menopur last night, sharp chest pains, extremely dry mouth, felt like cotton in my throat. From what I have read some of these are normal? Did not know if you had any with your injections?

I know it will all hopefully be worth it someday! Congratulations on your twins, after your journey for their arrival!

I would love twins (am at high risk for multiples with having polycystic ovaries, and multiples running in my family).

AmyG90 replied to KL0124's response:
Hi Kris. Thanks for sharing and shedding some light to us newcomers on all this complex and quite draining process. I am so happy for you and your hubby that you are finally pregnant - and with twins. That's great news, although I know twin pregnancies carry more risk, so my best wishes that all goes really well with yours!

I read your post with interest as we are attempting IUI another time this month, but may be moving to IVF next month. Your posts brought up some questions for me.

Why are there shots after the IVF cycle has already resulted in a pregnancy? Also, pre IVF cycle, how long do you have to wait while on "the pill"? Is it a full month or less?

Thanks and again, good luck!
me36, dh40 TTC9mo, now bck-2-bck IUI w/Clomid

AmyG90 replied to abbey96's response:
Ho Abbey! Sorry to hear about your strong reaction to the shots Has it gotten any better? Did you talk to your RE about it? Does the RE adjust the shots accordingly, or just keeps pushing through til it's time to retrieve?

I just wanted to come by your thread and send you a big virtual ((hug)) and wish you well. Keep us posted, I'm following your IVF journey closely and crossing fingers for you !
me36, dh40 TTC9mo, now bck-2-bck IUI w/Clomid

KL0124 replied to abbey96's response:
Sorry you are having such bad side effects. I was fortunate to not really have any that stuck out as side effects from the meds. Remember that the goal is one healthy baby at a time Twin pg is way harder than even a high risk singleton pg (DD was high risk). The physical demands are insane (ex my resting heartrate went from 60-65 to 105-110 by 14/15w, so I'm basically working out even to exist), the logistics of twins are crazy, and the financial aspects can be daunting.. That being said, I wouldn't trade my babies for the world and firmly believe that we are Blessed by these LO. Good luck to you and hope the stims get better. Only a few more days left.
10 total rounds of clomid, 2 of femara, and too many days of progesterone to count, 3 IUIs, IVF1 Twins!

KL0124 replied to AmyG90's response:
Thanks for the well wishes. We are doing well so far.

The progesterone shots were to help me carry a viable pg. Progesterone (pill, suppository, shots, etc) is a pretty common support medicine with IVF and sometimes with IUI. My RE said there is tons of evidence that the shots work and newer evidence that the others work just as well, but he's not switching from shots until there is tons more data.

I was actually never on the pill, but it was basically a now or never shot for us medically. Some RE (mine included) like to be able to better control the start of the cycle and it varies by person how long they might be on the pill.

Good luck to you.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Me (27) DH(33) TTC 3years 5 cycle clmd failed (1st) IVF/ICSI in March (indecisive).

Helpful Tips

TTC Abbreviations
2WW: Two-week wait (until you can take a pregnancy test) AF: Aunt Flo(w), your menstrual period AH: Assisted Hatching (Assisting ... More
Was this Helpful?
55 of 56 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.